4: Discoveries

WHYCH CROSS, ENGLAND - 1916

"Dad, you might wanna see this!", Alex said, rushing into Roderick Burgess' office.

The Landlord stood at the window, silently watching that ferocius bird circling over the hedges.

Whatever Jessamy tried, she would never get to release him.

Roderick still needed him for fullfilling his wish.

And he would make sure of that being done, whatever it may took.

Finally, Roderick turned around, his angry gaze settling on his son.

"What is it this time, Alex? Don't you see I'm rather busy keeping that bird from releasing her master? I think I must advise you to kill her..."

Alex swallowed hard, not wanting to interfere in the Landlords' business any further. But he had discovered something from which he thought it could please his father - something ordinary and yet so odd at the same time.

Something out of this world, something he had never seen before.

Something just beyond his very understanding.

"It's nothing, Dad!", Alex replied, nervously pinching his lips together.

He was clutching an instrument-shaped case which he now presented to his father.

"But I thought you might wanted to see this. It belongs to him, you know - it must be even more powerful than the ruby!"

Roderick stared at his son in slight surprise, grinning:

"Well. Let's see what you've got for me!"

Alex nodded, slowly opening the case in his hands.

Rodericks eyes widened, not quite realizing what he saw...but it was there, waiting to be played.

It was a violin, unlike any other he had seen, crafted out of the finest woods. The soft strings were made of pure gold, starting to glow under Burgess' mere touch. So was the bow, as if that instrument was holding an unknown power in it.

A power the Landlord had to make his own somehow - and this time, he would do anything for it.

Even killing that poor raven.

When Roderick made his way to the cellar, his special guest had been rightfully seated.

Locked away in the giant glass sphere and robbed of his tools, Morpheus sat, powerless and exhausted.

Drenched with endless pain and anger.

"I see you've already made yourself comfortable!", the Landlord sneered, holding the violin into the dim light of the room.

"My son Alex just told me about this instrument of yours. I didn't know you were into music that much, King of Dreams...what do you need it for?"

Morpheus didn't answer, clenching his fists.

That stupid, naive Mortal didn't know anything about him, nor the power he possessed.

Soon, he would show him that meddling with an Endless wouldn't go unpunished.

THE KINGDOM OF DREAMS -
100 YEARS LATER

The Dream Lords' violin was indeed very special, as it contained a strong force he couldn't quite control.

It was even stronger than his ruby or the sand which had been taken from him just after his final release.

His violin had not, luckily, but Morpheus was certain that Burgess' descendants would go looking for it as soon as they had the chance.

And if they did, he would give them the absolute best of revenge.