12: The Corinthian

WHYCH CROSS, ENGLAND - 1916

In the darkness he sits, arms folded and feeling utterly weak.

Weak, powerless and angry.

His raven, his one and only Jessamy, has been shot to death, her blood staining the marble floor at his feet.

He doesn't even shed a single tear, he's too exhausted to cry, merely to breathe.

So, he only stands watching while Alex carries Jessamy away to her grave, unworthy to dig it in a garden like that.

She was human once, his Jessamy.

She was a Dream, utterly beautiful and only created for to fill the bleeding hole inside his heart.

The bleeding hole in his heart that everyone thinks is made of stone, with no emotion at all.

That's how his siblings think of him, except Death.

She's the only one with an empathy so big that she can directly see through her little brother, unlike any other sister cares for her brother.

And yet, she cannot free him out of his cell, leaving him here to starve.

To get drained.

To go to waste.

To go to waste in the very same prison which was actually meant for her - how ridiculous!

But yet, he knows that she's got no choice.

She's still got a job to do, leaving her post now would come at a high cost - even higher than she can ever afford.

So, he just sits there, waiting for no one.

Time passes really slowly, here in that giant glass sphere.

The very same glass sphere the Corinthian has advised Burgess to build, keeping him away from his tools.

The very same glass sphere he'll rot in for a thousand years, without ever getting to be released.

Without ever hoping to find a way out.

For who could ever get to free him, the King of Dreams and Nightmares alike?