13: Confrontation

WHYCH CROSS, ENGLAND - 1916

Susie swallowed hard, just couldn't believe what the Corinthian had just said.

She wanted to run away, but her feet felt like glued to the ground.

It was just a dream, he lied to her...none of this could be real.

She just wanted to get away from this creepy dude and escape with Morpheus' tools, then she could wake up and everything was back to normal...

She just didn't want to listen to him, this couldn't be real - but what about that story her mum had told her?

In the end, she had said something like:

"Passion might be closer than you think."

Passion was Morpheus' sister, the one lost sibling alongside Love and Solitude.

The one of which that ancient prophecy had told about.

The one who had left his realm and never returned, taking the Dream Lords' violin with her.

The very same violin Susie had in her possession.

The very same violin which had been stolen from him, just about that time she was standing here...

That couldn't be actually true, could it?

If it was, that just meant...that she...

What was going on right now?

And where was the music she needed to listen to so desperately, not being lured into a trap?

Where was Morpheus, where was Mister Sandman?

Where the hell was...her brother?

"Now you're getting it!", the Nightmare said, reaching into his suit pocket.

Looking at his gaze in the knifes' silver blade, he whispered:

"Too bad that I have to kill you now...any last words before you die, Sweetie?"

Susie closed her eyes, preparing for the pain that would soon consume her like raging fire - nothing happened.

When she opened them again, the knife wasn't pointed at her own body, but instead to the Nightmare himself - directly at his throat.

"Let her be, Corinthian!", Morpheus spoke out of the shadows, appearing next to Susie who just started to grow back to her much more older version.

The violin was gone from his grasp, only having existed in the dream - a sign for Susies' cruel act towards him.

She was a thief, always had been.

She had stolen his instrument, not standing the pain that her brother had left her...

And yet, he was there, always had been.

Had guided her, even from so far away.

Had watched over her, taught her all he knew.

For he was her brother.

And as such, he always had to look out for her.

An everlasting duty of truce and loyalty, a quest for glory and understanding, a test of honor and morality.

So why he wouldn't want to see her again, after all this time?

Why he wouldn't want to speak to her again, after all she had done?

He just had to forgive her.

He just had to.

"Well, if it isn't my old friend!", the Corinthian hissed, slowly backing away from the knife still pointed at him.

"You still haven't learnt your lesson, haven't you? Just admit it already that you only think about yourself and just don't care about others...not even your own family, Dream. You're pathetic, living in a delusion. You always want to make the world a better place by creating something that doesn't even matter to some people - people like me. You always want to stand out, leave a mark on the world...just like how you've left a mark on your very own sister."

He snatched the knife out of the air, fiddling with it beneath his fingers.

"You probably wonder how you came to be? Well, why don't we let him talk about that, Susie Lynn? A fallen Godess, like no other? You have a right to know..."

Susie was still frozen in shock, looking at Morpheus who let out a deep sigh - a sigh of grief and pain.

A pain which had never healed that much, being stuck with him to this very day.

A pain which had never healed that bleeding hole inside his heart.

A pain from which he desperately hoped it could be healed by her.

He only had to tell her the truth.

The whole truth, nothing but that.

Finally, Morpheus cleared his throat, his voice drenched with sadness.

"It all started a very very long time ago..."