8: Cain and Abel

THE KINGDOM OF DREAMS

Now with Susie gone, Morpheus finally had time to think.

He decided to visit Cain and Abel which were utterly happy to see their Lord, offering him a nice cup of tea and some buttercream biscuits.

Just as the three of them were about to get comfortable, Goldie woke up from his sleep and started to spit some fire - clearly a sign for being hungry.

"Here you go, my little fella!", Abel said, feeding the baby gargoyle out of his lap.

"Don't spill everything on me...good boy!"

Goldie had grown very much since Abel had first fed him, being now as tall as his outstretched leg.

Cain just rolled his eyes, never really getting used to his brothers' deep love for a dragon - he could kill you at first sight, even if you at least expected.

Grabbing a biscuit from the fully laden plate, the older brother turned to address Morpheus who had said nothing yet since his arriving.

"What brings you here, my Lord?", Cain asked, stroking his unshaven beard in slight confusion.

"We haven't heard from you in quite a while..."

Abel couldn't stay silent to his Lordship any longer, calling out:

"After all what's happened, we're utterly pleased to Goldie keeping us company now - isn't it, brother?"

Cain let out a groan of annoyance, forcing himself to smile.

"Surely it is, Abel. And it shows anyway...when was the last time I killed you?"

Abel frowned, replying:

"I think it is three weeks from now, brother...my Lord, isn't that wonderful? Goldie really brings joy to Cains manners, I'm telling you - "

"Shut it, you silly Boggywog!", Cain hissed, holding up the sharp knife he had kept in his pocket.

"No matter how cute Goldie might seem to you, a dragon is still a dragon. And dragons don't have manners to humans like you, they can turn you into a flaming torch in no time..."

Abels jaw dropped, not having expected that sudden change of heart.

"But Cain, Goldie isn't like the other dragons!", he stuttered in fear as the Oldest raised the knife.

"He has a big heart, he doesn't spit fire to harm me. And he's even addicted to flubberworms, look. He wouldn't want to hurt anyone, not even you. So please, don't kill me again. After all this time - "

Morpheus clearly thought the two had reached their breaking point, so he did what he always did when watching them arguing.

After Cain had fallen to sleep, dropping the knife on the floor, the King of Dreams stared deep into Abels eyes - it was like he could see his inner self, what he consisted of and what he had grown up to be.

It always frightened him more than anything else - not even his brother was able to do such a thing.

"Do you know how Goldie actually came to you, Abel? He's really a magnificent creature, no doubt - but who really gave his egg to you?"

The Youngest turned red, fiddling with his fingers:

"Well, it only can be Cain, can it? Besides, I couldn't really see who it was, cause that grave was so dark...why you asking, my Lord?"

"Because I was the one giving you that egg, Abel!", Morpheus answered, swallowing hard.

"I once summoned the Fates to help me finding my three tools - the sand, the ruby and the helm. In exchange for their help, I gathered three gifts out of the Waking Worlds' dreams, including a gargoyle egg. But that egg wasn't meant for them, I knew I've done the wrong thing with turning Gregory back to dust. So, I've apologised to both of you."

"I'm really sorry to admit it now, after all you two have been through. But it was the only way for me to apologise properly. And I know you've thought that Cain had given you that egg, showing his hidden kindness...it has been me, not him. I hope you understand."

Abel said nothing, his lips trembling.

Morpheus nearly expected him to burst into tears, but that wasn't the case - instead, he mumbled:

"That's fine, my Lord. Honestly, Cain never has given me anything, so living with a lie is far more better. After all, he cannot tear us apart, can he?"

The King of Dreams stayed silent, making his way to the door.

Just before he left the House of Secrets, he turned to Abel once more.

"I think it's up to him, isn't it?"