10: Memories

THE KINGDOM OF DREAMS

All of a sudden, Morpheus got hit by an old memory that wasn't his own.

He was just back inside the Throne Room, pacing up and down in restlessness.

He had to do something, anything to get his violin back - even if he had to call one of his siblings for help.

If only there was someone who knew where that instrument was, someone who knew about Roderick Burgess.

And there still was that mystery surrounding Susie Lynn, the very same woman who owned a violin which looked similar to his.

Who was she?

And why did she possess an instrument almost similar to his very own?

What did she hide from him, what made her so special that she wasn't even mentioned in the whole Dreamers' History, all those sleepers who had entered his realm throughout the years?

Morpheus just had to find out, whatever it took - and where better to start than in a memory?

A memory within a dream, to be exact.

LONDON, ENGLAND - 1996

Little Susie crouched on the mattress, not wanting to close her eyes.

That story her mother had told - it seemed so real and yet so odd at the same time.

Something she couldn't quite explain, making it hard to believe.

But still...there had to be a grain of truth in it, even just a little bit.

And if it was just like her mother had told, she would do anything to make Amber proud.

Being prepared for the Sandman to come and put her to sleep, like he did with anyone else.

He just had to come back, if not, what would become of her?

What would become of all the other kids out there, desperately waiting for him to show up?

What would become of all the people wanting to enter his realm, not finding him anywhere?

Not finding anywhere to go in their sleep?

She had to free him somehow.

For her mother, for herself.

Deep down, he waited for her too.

Susie could feel that - and she would do whatever it took to release the King of Dreams out of his prison.

Cause she owed him so much, he would be glad to see her.

Even if it was only in her sleep.

After all - what could possibly go wrong?