2016: Trying Something New

"You've changed clothes five different times already," Bobby commented. "What's the deal?" She called from her side of their room. She was sitting on the floor in front of her bed, painting her nails.

"I dunno...what's the message from this?"

"Uhh...downplaying sexy?"

"Meh...?" That was sorta the right message, but she was still confused as to what the hell she was doing. She turned back to the mirror. She was wearing brown pleather leggings with a thick black velvet belt obliquely crossed around her hips, and wore a solid black, oversized turtleneck, topped with a furry black vest. Her black combat boots came just up to her knees. Her hair was tugged up in its signature ponytail, her stripe was left down over her eye.

"On second thought, you actually look really hot, are you going somewhere?"

"Um...well, that one hot girl I go to classes with is in town..."

"You mean Spencer Gemlings?" Bobby sounded shocked.

"She promised to drive the Bugatti, Bob! I've never even dreamed of being inside one before!"

"OMG, the car fetish thing again," she groaned and hopped up to her feet. "C'mon, Toni, you don't even know this chick. Don't you think is this...I dunno, kinda a bad idea?"

"Bob, I get it. It's crazy. But I need a break...a distraction, y'know?"

"How about you and I go for a ride or something, huh?"

"You hate driving at dark."

"Well, we could uh...watch some YouTube on my laptop?"

"Bobby," she grabbed her sister's shoulders. "Can you look your baby sister in the eye and tell me that Luke and Alexa haven't been all chummy-chummy for the past two weeks?"

She looked away.

"Aha! Exactly! Look, screw them. I'm better off without Alexa's bitchy backstabbing vibes and I'm fine living without Luke and his coming and going drama," she insisted. "In fact, I hope Al is in love with him so that way when he packs it in and moves to Florida, she dies of a broken heart."

"You don't have anything to prove, y'know," Bobby insisted as she followed her down the latter. "You don't have to revenge date -"

"Shhh!" Toni shot her a look. "It's not revenge dating," she whispered, looking around the hall but everyone was downstairs. "It's just getting to know a fellow club member who happens to have a gorgeous car which I wanna know more about." She sniffed and stroked her ponytail.

"But Spencer is a Gemlings! They're assholes! What if she's just trying to... I dunno, play games with you?"

"I'll be fine. Plus, I'm famous for calling creeps, remember? I'll be okay, just make sure Mom and Dad get that I'm with a friend, okay? And technically yeah, you've met them," she winked and pinched her sister's cheek.

Bobby scowled as she followed Toni downstairs. "Toni's meeting up with a friend!" She called into the living room as the sisters stopped on the landing.

"Huh? With who?" Mom called.

"A girl in my A.M classes," Toni called. "I'll be back in an hour or something," she nodded at Bobby and then hurried outside just as the sun was setting. There was zip in the air, she almost debated about swapping her vest for a coat but doubted her chances of survival if she went back inside. Bobby wouldn't let her escape twice. She walked a few houses down and waved when she seen Spencer's Bugatti cruise around the corner. "Hiya stranger," she smirked as she rolled down the window. "Aren't you worried about picking up psychos?"

"I'll take my chances," she laughed and shoved the door open.

"Good inners," she mused aloud as she slid onto the leather seat, it was probably Italian Swade or something.

"I know this sick place a few miles up the road, I have a friend who'll let us in."

"Hmm? Where at?" She nearly forgot to ask as they sped away. The Bugatti had a rumbling hiss to it that reminded her of a furious kitten, but when they hit the highway, it turned to the roar of a tiger. Toni had to laugh with amazement and rolled her window down so the forceful blast of chilly night air shoved into her. "Whoo-hoo!" She cheered with exuberate freedom. At long last she was moving too fast for her own thoughts to chase her down and in that moment, she couldn't bring herself to care about anything else.