1926: Quick to Burn

"I'm so sorry, Cyn," Meril lovingly stroked the back of her head. "It'll be okay, baby."

Thea thought her eyes would fall out before she ran out of tears to cry. After surgery, she escaped the hospital and was then safely tucked away in Meril's apartment. She still felt as though she were lined up in the cites of another gun though, it was an impossible feeling to shake and who could blame her? She had been shot at, nearly killed, harassed by cops at the hospital, and she still had no idea where Rubio was, or if he was even alive. Maybe he was ambushed on his way to his brother's...her heart was in shatters. A mob war had exploded across the city, it was nigh impossible for anyone to leave their work or home without getting swept up in a gang drive-by or a shootout with the police.

It was mass hysteria.

"God, what can I do?" Thea groaned and hid her face in Meril's shoulder. "This is just a perfect, shitty nightmare."

"Have you told Siretta anything?"

"I haven't told her shit," she sobbed again. "If I do then...then - oh Meril! She'll do what she always does! She'll smother me under her wing while she fights off the demons of the world for me! I can't do this to her! I-I'm my own woman now! Siretta has done more than enough for...for me, I gotta start...gotta start taking care of myself." Meril nodded and tightened her embrace around the other girl. "I guess I don't do that great...great of a job at it, huh?" She sniffled. "I'm so sorry," she whispered. "I just was so scared..." She pulled away. "I shouldn't have come, Meril. I got myself into this mess, I should be woman enough to get myself out."

"Cyn," she smiled softly. "Womanhood isn't all about standing tall and alone, it's about being strong in the face of aversion, fearless of change, and having the guts to admit when you need some guidance. Women gotta stick together. We gotta stand up for each other, protect each other."

"That...that sounds like sisterhood," she weakly smiled.

"I never had a sister," she admitted softly.

"You're my sister, Meril," Thea hugged her tighter and rested her head on her shoulder again. "I love you as much as Siretta, really I do," she sighed.

"Ah, Cyn..." Meril beamed even though the other girl couldn't see her smile as she stroked her hair. "I've always wanted a sister."

"I'm not the best, but you're stuck with me," she smiled too.

A few hours later, after a refreshing rest, a bath, and a change into something beautiful, Thea helped Meril open some cans of soup for dinner. Just as the two sat down to eat on the couch there was a sharp knock on the door. Meril frowned; her brow was furrowed beneath her beaded headband. "That's funny...no one ever comes here," she hurried to the door and opened it a little bit, the chain stretched between the space. "Yeah? What do -"

"I know Thea's here," Thea's heart lurched with disbelief at the sound of Rubio's voice. He was alive!

"Thea?" Meril shook her head. "Who the hell are you?" She demanded.

Thea jumped to her feet and heedlessly called, "Rubio!"

Meril slammed the door shut and pressed herself against it, shooting Thea an alarmed look that clearly read what are you doing? The door was suddenly kicked open with a jarring bang. The chain shattered and chips of wood from the busted doorframe flew into the air. The girls yelped and Meril was shoved into the wall as Rubio bolted in.

"Thea!" He rushed over and grabbed her, pulling her into a tight embrace. 

"I...I thought something terrible happened to you!" She shakily tried to pull away. "I...I thought you were dead. What happened?" Tears stung her eyes.