CHAPTER 12 - Curious Guy

A tricycle was waiting for them outside the airport. No, it was more like an airstrip. The guys took care of their luggage.

Ayu inhaled a good fresh air and smiled. What a refreshing sight.

"What are you smiling now?" Garry caressed her head and made a mess of her hair.

"Hey! Careful. It has not recovered yet. I might go blind or lose sanity in one day." Ayu was annoyed.

"What happened?" His voice caring.

Ayu hesitated for a while. Should she tell him about the plane's moment with Hanz? Better bury it, she decided.

"Just hoped to keep my head until the end of our journey." She made a face. She hit his stomach, but he dodged it.

"Not today miss!" They're back to their teasing game. "Hey, where are you going? Come back!" Gary called her back.

"Whatever!" Ayu stomped on the way to the restroom. Jen followed her with a malicious face.

"I scored you big time." She was being all playful now.

"I know what you did Jen. Don't play cupid now."

"What? I'm sure I saw you sleeping cozily before we land." Ayu cannot believe it. Her best friend was seating a few rows away from them. How could she possibly see that?

"Quit it. I slept late and I did not get enough rest. That was nothing." She raised her hand ready to hit Jen. "And how did we get seated apart?" Ayu can't hide his emotions anymore. She tugged Jen's hair and immediately ran out of the restroom.

The roads were newly paved and extended to Brgy. Batag. A good thing for the people living around the area. In just 30 minutes, the guests found themselves staring on the other side of the road. Mesmerized was not enough to describe their awe. The island sure has a hidden paradise. It was more than they had expected. The beach was paperwhite, the ocean cerulean, and as amazing as it can be. The green trees swaying and welcoming as if they know the newcomers have good intentions.

They stopped at the welcome sign of the small barangay. Something that beautiful should be given time for admiration.

"Let's take a photo while we are here." Everyone obliged at Gary's suggestion. They are more than delighted.

Not long after their stop, the sun started to move up higher causing them to sweat profusely.

In the vacation house.

"You know that both of you will benefit if you just put down everything and talk about it. Not everyone can be persuaded by material things." Ayu was trying to lower her voice for others not to hear.

"All right Dad. I will think about it, okay? Is that good enough? I'll call you." Her dad now called Ayu to know where she is. He was encouraging Ayu to meet him and her mother immediately.

She went downstairs after the rigorous battle on the phone with her father. Ayu did not expect his father to call her. They never cared until today.

Jen walked towards her and offered cold water. "Everything alright?"

Ayu made a nod and then smiled despite feeling disheartened.

"How about we walk outside for a bit? We're invited to have lunch three doors down." Ned was trying to lighten the mood. They saw Ayu's ashen face.

Hanz kept quiet but gave her a concerned look. He knew that it is not time to question Ayu.

The girls nodded and went out.

The ocean waves overlapping each other are soothing to the ears. The sun now scorching their skin, but the breeze made the heat a bit tolerable.

"Where's Gary, anyway? Ned asked them curiously. The guy has not been around since they came.

"He's arranging our plans with the local officials. I'm sure he will be back before dinner." Jen told them so they would not worry.

At lunch.

"Here, I remember you love their tapa." Gary looked at Ayu and gave her extra platter of beef.

As always, Gary never misseda thing. Ayu looked at him appreciatively. Whenever she felt down back in theircollege days, Gary would always bring her food like a loving sibling. The twosmiled at each other while Hanz was watching them with inquisitive eyes thatonly he could notice.