Broken Rules

Morpheus knew entering into an agreement with a mortal was risky, unadvised even. His siblings would have a field day if any of them found out, which was why he planned to make sure they never did. But he couldn't just let it go. Cassandra had power over the dreaming in a way he had never seen before and that worried him more than anything had in over a millennia. The curse was worrying, but he had no reason to believe it would impact the dreaming as it was bestowed by a young god in the waking world.

He wondered how she could stand it, being able to see what was going to happen to the people around her but not being able to do anything about it. It was hard for him to remember sometimes that he wasn't meant to interfere with mortal problems, only to keep watch over a single aspect of their existence.

And yet here he was, breaking his own rules because he felt a pull towards her like none he ever had before.

The raven he sent to watch over her in the waking world had given him an insight into her life. She had many siblings, one of which was leading the Troy armies against the Greeks and only occasionally visited home. But he was curious about what had happened at the boxing match her father hosted in celebration for her brother's visit. One contestant had defeated each of her brothers in turn before declaring he was Paris, the lost Prince of Troy. Her family seemed ecstatic, but Cassandra had looked white as a sheet.

It had been two days, and she was yet to fall asleep and visit the dreaming. His raven watched her pace through her room before sketching a burning city and two figures under a wedding arch. Morpheus was curious. Constantly tending to the dreaming could get boring sometimes, and he welcomed distractions when they presented themselves. Cassandra was the most appealing distraction in a long time.

He watched through the raven's eyes as her head finally started to drop and she fell asleep on the desk. He gave her time to slip into the dreaming before he plucked her out and deposited them both in the middle of Fiddler's Green again. She didn't even glance his way before she sat down in the grass, the silk of her dress pooling around her like water as she curled her legs beneath her. She fit in here with the colours, more so than he did.

"I do not think I have the energy to do whatever it is you want me to do tonight." She said, running her fingers through the blades of grass.

"You have not slept for two days." He stayed standing with his hands clasped behind his back. He felt uncomfortable and, not for the first time, wished he had his older sister's way with mortals.

"In two years, my entire city will burn to the ground because my brother will steal a Spartan Queen, and no one believes me." She ran a hand through her dark hair, causing the golden bangles on her wrist to softly clink together. "The prophecy gave no mention to the outcome for my family, so no, Onerios, I have not slept in two days." She narrowed her eyes at him. "You do not like when I call you that."

He wondered if his expression was always so easy to read. "It is not my name. It was given to me by mortals."

"Then what shall I call you?"

"Dream or Morpheus." He finally decided to sit in the grass, crossing his legs and leaving a good amount of space between them.

"Morpheus it is then." She gave him a small smile.

He was surprised how much he enjoyed hearing her say his name. But he turned his attention to her hands as she turned her palm up and suddenly there was a butterfly sitting in her palm. It fluttered its wings and crossed the space between them. He held out his hand and it landed softly in his palm. The energy it emitted was different from the energy of his own creations, like it was on a different frequency.

He looked up from the butterfly to find her watching him. "Why did you choose snakes?"

She pinched her eyebrows together before her eyes widened slightly in realisation. "They are his biggest fear. His horse was bitten by one when he was a child and it threw him. He has been afraid of them ever since."

"What did he do?"

"He tried to force himself on my maid. She is the closest thing to a friend I have, especially in the palace. My father has always looked the other way, but I could not stand by and do nothing." She moved her hand over the grass in front of her and flowers bloomed in its wake.

"What do you think about when you create things here?" He asked, knowing full well if someone was to ask him the same question he would be unable to answer.

She looked up at him, her dark eyes taking him in. "I do not really think of anything. It is like a tug in my mind and whatever it is I create just seems like the correct thing to make at the time."

He hummed and waved his own hand. A rabbit appeared from thin air and hopped over to her. She smiled as she reached a hand out and stroked through its brown fur. He felt a wave of fondness pass through his chest as the weight seemed to lift from her shoulders, if only for a moment.

"Sir?"

Cass jumped as his current Raven, Alexander, landed in front of them and spoke up.

"Yes." He acknowledged the bird.

"Lucienne has an important matter she wishes to discuss with you."

"Tell her I will be there shortly." He said, watching as the raven flew off.

"The birds here can talk?" Cass asked, looking at the rabbit as if it might start talking next.

He felt the corner of his lips tug up. "Only my ravens. They were once mortals who became trapped in the dreaming when they died."

"Does that happen often?"

"More often than you would perhaps think. But they have a choice, they can stay here or they can go with my sister to the sunless lands." He stood from the ground.

"Your sister?" She mimicked him and got to her feet.

"I am afraid your questions will have to wait for another night." He reached into his pocket and grabbed a handful of sand. "I will meet you here when I next have time, for now, I will return you to your own dreams." He blew the sand towards her and watched as she disappeared. He followed suit and was soon stood in front of Lucienne's desk in the library. "You have a matter you wish to discuss."

"Sir, may I speak freely?" She pushed her glasses up her nose.

"You may."

"I do not think it wise that you have entered into an agreement with the mortal, especially given that she is cursed." She frowned.

Morpheus sighed. "Her curse will not affect the dreaming, and I need to understand just how much power she holds here. Nothing besides myself has ever been able to create dreams or nightmares. If she is to be a threat, I would rather know sooner than later."

"Then may I suggest you ask one of your siblings for their input?"

"My siblings have their own realms to worry about. If Cassandra's reach extends into their realms, I will involve them. But for now I think it wise they do not know." If only so he did not have to deal with their judgments as well as Lucienne's.

She raised her eyebrows. "And letting her meddle in the dreams of others?"

"I agree with her reasoning." He simply said. "If that is all, I have other matters to attend."

"Yes, my lord."

He could tell she wanted to press the issue further, but didn't wish to anger him. He left her to what she was doing and stalked back to his throne room, intending to come up with a plan for working with Cassandra.