Red Herring {Niki + Jungwon}

// Third POV //

When Sunghoon first woke up, he thought his hand was cut off.

He had this disturbing nightmare where he was stuck in a saw trap and to get out of it, he had to cut off one of his limbs. The pain of removing a hand from its socket felt so real that when his eyes open and his reality collided, he instinctively clapped on his blankets and panicked when he couldn't find his right hand.

It now being evident that the dancer had likely experienced the last drop of sleep he would obtain that night, Sunghoon entered the passcode in his phone and caught wind of the time.

7:30pm. For him, that wasn't too bad. He and the kids didn't have schedules today because it's a holiday in Korea. Heeseung had plans with his parents, Jay was going to see his father, and Sunoo was going out with his best friend from high school.

Sunghoon was going to see his younger sister today but she cancelled because of cheerleading practice. His sleeping roommate beside him, Jake, was so sick that he looked dead sleeping the way he was.

Heeseung was conflicted about leaving the dorm today with Jake as ill as he was. Sunghoon let his hyung know that his plans were called off today so he was open to taking care of Jake for him.

Niki and Jungwon had long schedules the night before, so they slept all day. This was just itching for trouble. Jungwon was more calm than Niki but when he had all eight hours of sleep, the leader acted his age and was just as wild as the actual maknae.

Jungwon was quite unique because his personality often varies depending on whose he's with. To the hyungs, he was their quiet and lovable kid. To Niki, he showed more of himself because they were close to the same age. While he always had to listen to the guys who were older and tended to be clingy and show cuteness, he and Niki have suppressed their age and became same aged friends.

Sunghoon, on one hand, didn't want to catch what Jake had because he had to MC tomorrow. On the other, Jake was one of his closest friends and wanted to care for him. He could tell just by the tone of Heeseung's voice that he didn't want to leave Jake, so Sunghoon wanted to ease the oldest hyung's worries.

Jake stirred in his uncomfortable sleep. His tall friend appeared above him, caressing him with a gentle touch saying that he'll bring him some medicine and water.

On his way to do just that, Sunghoon stopped abruptly when his ears perked up at a loud, echoing laughter coming from the other side of the maknae's room.

Sunghoon cringed; he couldn't lie and say that he wasn't expecting this. He knocked on the maknaes' door and made his way inside.

Jungwon laid on his stomach while Niki laid on his back. They were both on Sunoo's bed, which was noticeably much larger than the other kids'. Sunghoon wasn't sure what they were doing but it didn't matter.

He cleared his throat, prompting two pairs of eyes to focus on him.

"Hey, guys. Jake isn't feeling well so make sure you keep the volume to a minimum."

The two of them nodded seriously.

Sunghoon smirked, happy that he could get that out of the way.

------------

Later on in the morning, Sunghoon adjusted to the alternation he made between going in to check on Jake, give him anything he needed: water, medicine, someone to talk to. Then, he'd go back on the couch and just chill.

He had his legs propped up on the table (something Heeseung never allowed when he was here) and just enjoyed the peace and quiet.

It was quite suspicious to him that Niki and Jungwon were actually doing what he told them. They were no doubt sympathetic to Jake and his condition, but being teenagers, sometimes they just couldn't help themselves. It was also their day off and usually the duo release much of that repressed energy they keep inside during work.