Chapter 5 - Deadly Life

--Warehouse, 7:15 AM, Day 17--

The group slowly approached Kyoko's body. Godot walked to her head, and closed her eyes.

Godot: "What Charlie did was an accident. Edelgard's crime was in the heat of the moment, and at the very least she showed regret. Gloria killed in self-defense. Hell, even Chara and Dave were acting as puppets, for reasons we may never fully know. But this..."

Samus: "I rarely see this sort of mindless brutality. When I do, it's usually done by essentially a wild animal."

Frisk: "But it was one of us..."

Hop: "Can we actually trust that, mates?"

Byakuya: "Until we can prove otherwise, we have no choice but to accept it as fact."

Godot: "According to the Monokuma File, she died of blood loss. No injuries besides the impalements."

Samus: "Death wasn't instant. She hung on for about ten minutes..."

Hop: "P-please... I don't wanna think about that..."

Frisk: "So... who's going to check the body?"

They looked at each other.

Samus: "As the last female standing, I think it would be most appropriate if I did it. I don't have much experience in this regard, though, so I would appreciate some guidance."

Godot: "Since I've investigated homicides before, I guess that'd be me. The rest of you search the surrounding area."

Byakuya: "If it's all the same to you, I'm actually going to go search Kyoko's room, just to check for any kind of note or clue."

Hop: "Go ahead, mate. Frisk and I have got this..."

--Kyoko's Room, 7:20 AM, Day 17--

Byakuya skimmed over Kyoko's room, but didn't find anything. He was ready to call it, when there was a knock at the door. He opened the door and found no one there, then he looked down and saw a note. When he picked it up, he recognized it as a note from the Mastermind, like the ones Kyoko had received before.

"GIFT IN THE DRAWER."

But he had already checked the drawer, hadn't he? Just to be sure, he opened Kyoko's drawer and found a stack of papers. He was sure the drawer had been empty, maybe he just wasn't paying attention?

Byakuya: "That... that has to be it."

He took out the stack of papers and began reading.

"DID YOU WANT TO TALK?"

"Why did you add to the code?"

"I DIDN'T ADD ANYTHING. I JUST UNLOCKED IT."

"So it's really true?"

"YES."

"Is there anywhere we can talk in person?"

"THE WAREHOUSE WEST OF THE MAIN PLAZA, BE THERE AT 10:00 TONIGHT."

Byakuya: "What the hell..."

Another knock at the door, and another note.

"IT WASN'T ME."

--Warehouse, 7:27 AM, Day 17--

Godot: "Start by checking her pockets."

Samus checked each of Kyoko's pockets carefully, eventually pulling out a crumpled piece of paper. She opened it up and read it.

Samus: "'Win the trial. See you soon.'"

Godot: "Who wrote it?"

Samus: "I assume Kyoko?"