Chapter 40: Doll

SW: The Conflict of Strategy + Will of Tycoon (The Strategy of Conflict, The Grapes of Wrath Ripen in his Eyes, Part 2, + Q)
RI: Atsushi Nakajima, Osamu Dazai, Chuuya Nakahara, Gin Akutagawa, Ichiyou Higuchi (kinda... if you squint your eyes a bit you can see it), Ranpo Edogawa

"Why do you get to drive? Why not me?" Dazai whined next to you in the car

"Because we'd all die if you drove," you argued back.

"How rude! I'm actually quite a talented driver, if you didn't know. I taught myself."

"That sure does show."

Meanwhile, Atsushi sat in the passenger seat in the back, trying his best to stay out of the argument between you and Dazai. He had never seen Dazai drive before, but he definitely trusted you more than he did Dazai in this scenario.

"C'mon, Atsushi! Can't you back me up here?" Dazai begged, turning around to his subordinate.

"Oh... uh..." He had no clue what to say. "I guess I trust (Y/N) more in this situation. I've heard Kunikida complain about your driving too."

"Thanks, Atsushi," you laughed, reaching back to pat him softly on the head, causing him to smile lightly in the process.

Dazai's mouth twisted into a wry smile as he watched the two of you interact. "Trust me, I'm a good driver. That one joyride with Kunikida and you was a joke."

You stopped patting Atsushi's head to turn and glare at Dazai, whose smile grew once the attention returned to him. "A joyride? It was high-speed chase on a highway against a terrorist. People almost died because of your silliness, and I won't let that happen again. Agreeing to let you drive would be like agreeing to one of your double suicide offers."

"Oh c'mon," Dazai whined and pouted like an older version of a toddler. "You're no fun."

Just then, you felt your phone buzz in your pocket. You quickly fished it out to see that it was Fukuzawa who was calling you.

"President," you began, causing Dazai to straighten up and return to a more serious and focused state. "What do you need?"

"This is Ranpo," stated the detective on the other side of the phone, "Haruno and Naomi are under attack. (Y/N), we need you to go with Dazai and Atsushi to the closest train station to you. Wait there for Naomi and Haruno to come off the train so you can escort them safely back to the agency. Naomi and Haruno have been ordered to evacuate but will probably be ambushed on the way out. We're also ordering Tanizaki and Kunikida though to make sure they will get onto that train no matter what. If all goes according to plan, they should be safe."

"Alright, thanks Ranpo," you replied, stepping on the gas. "We're going now."

~-•-~

Thankfully, you had made it to the nearest train station without Dazai whining about wanting to be in the driver's seat. Ball you had to do now was sit and wait.