Full Moon

The moon was full and a bright, hanging low over the sea illuminating the path set out before the ship. Koruh hung on to the side of the ship and sighed wishing she was at the helm steering and feeling the wind in her hair, rather than being slapped by sea water. She laid back floating on the water and looked up at the constellations in the sky, keeping the rope in her hand so she stayed steady with the ship.

 "Should have brought a bottle of rum with me." She spoke monotonically, obviously bored. "Just another full moon as a mermaid." Koruh looked at her red and white tail as it slapped the surface of the water. "Just another night of being alone.

 "Avalon casually swam up towards the ship and looked up to see if Aiden might be near the railing. Cupping her hands around her mouth she quietly hollered out up at the ship, "Aiden? Aiden are you still up there?" Silence. Avalon sighed heavily and looked around finally noticing Koruh and her face lit up.

 "You're the captain aren't you? What are you doing out here so late?"

 Koruh heard a voice and turned her head toward it, asking why she was out so late. Perking up straight in the water, Koruh kind of backed away hoping she wouldn't see her tail.

 "I could be asking you the same thing." Koruh looked her over. It was the same girl from earlier that day, the one who reminded her so much of her younger sister.

 Avalon looked down with a small blush, "P-please don't tell anyone I'm here, I just, I have so many questions about your kind, and Aiden is the first human to let me talk to him without the fear of death after each question."

 "Aren't you afraid that I'll kill you?" She asked her raising a brow.

 "I don't mean this in any way of disrespect, but I don't think you would. In your eyes, I see something that isn't a killer, maybe I'm just naive but, that's what I see." Koruh furrowed her brows unsure how to take that comment.

 "You're right. I only kill if I feel threatened, or if my crew or ship are threatened." She shrugged a shoulder. "But I am not one to be underestimated, after all I am ruler of these seas." Koruh puffed out her chest a little proud of her title.

 Avalon's face lit up, "You are? Really? I had no idea!" Avalon excitedly swam over to Koruh as she quickly swam away. "What's it like? Do you enjoy it? Is it hard? Because Eudora has a hard time keeping some control underwater, not that she has that high of a title as you, but she's pretty important underwater!" Avalon looked at Koruh with the biggest innocent eyes she had ever witnessed. A soft smile crept to Koruh's lips and she tapped her chin thinking.

 "It's a lot of work because I have a lot of enemies. Other pirates trying to take the title away for themselves or trying to kill me so they can't follow the rules, and then there is the officials who try to capture me so I can't pirate the sea anymore. It's quite dangerous, this way of life. It's definitely hard but I have my right hand man and a great crew to help me." Koruh paused for a moment. "Next time you see your red headed friend, you should tell her that my ship is decreed by Poseidon himself not to touch it. They really need to watch out, they were out of their territory to begin with. That can get them in a lot of trouble." Koruh spoke honestly.

 Avalon shook her head and looked at her almost scared, "No, no that can't be right. This is our territory still, we don't cross over, I swear we don't. You have to believe me. Eudora follows the orders to a 'T'. But, if Poseidon decreed not to touch it I will let her know." She gave Koruh a soft innocent smile. Koruh nodded.

 "Then maybe some of your mermen warriors should go out and check their booies because I know for a fact I did not pass any." Koruh returned a smile. "You should be an Ambassador for your people, you're very good at keeping peace and negotiating." Koruh said referring to earlier that day.