Chapter Fourteen

The section of the garden that he had escorted me to was an adorable little hidden away nook, easily missed if you knew not what to look for, that had been decorated with azaleas and hanging vines of wisteria. A small pond sat in the corner of the sizable area that was filled with koi and other smaller fish, along with several frogs that sat atop lily pads.

It was almost mystical, in a way, and if I had been my younger self, I would have fantasized about how it was made and that only those who had been designated worthy, by fairies of course, were allowed inside. But I learned long ago that fairies, amongst other magical things, were nothing more than just fantasies.

Cordelia and a few royal servants stood by to act as chaperones, since a lady should never be left alone with a gentleman, but also to attend to our needs. We took our seats at one of the woven iron tables that had already been set with spring themed tableware. The two of us sat there still awkwardly silent from before, as I wondered whether or not I should speak.

I studied the silent Thomas, all the while trying not to make it obvious. He appeared to have been agitated, still, as he motioned towards his servants to bring out some refreshments. Part of me wanted to ask why he and his brother had such an estranged relationship, but I did not know him well enough to begin delving into his personal matters.

But even still, I wondered if Henry had really been that bad. Or if, perhaps, all the animosity between the brothers had been built upon a misunderstanding on both sides?

Though, from my personal experience with family troubles, it is never just that simple.

"It is such a lovely day, is it not, my prince?" I swallowed my anxiety as I tried to fill the emptiness left between the two of us from earlier.

"Yes, yes." His reply was hollow, mind still elsewhere I supposed. That was until his face shifted and in the blink of an eye life flushed back into his gaze, "But not as lovey as you."

I shifted in my seat at his complement. "Thank you, my prince."

He looked at me, giving me his full attention, as his eyes wandered below my chin. "I must say, I do despise being watched over like a child." He glanced over at our chaperones. "It restricts the organic nature of conversations, makes one think before they act, and I prefer candid responses."

"I see." Unlike the night of the dance when it was just the two of us twirling around, speaking only loud enough for one another to hear, it was rather awkward having people close enough to hear all that there was to be said. "I too prefer the kinds of things that can only be said between two people. You learn more when a person feels safe."

I thought back to the conversations that had happened with Henry, when it was just the two of us. There was something comforting about the honesty in them. No need to tip toe around things, fearing someone else might hear, and the ability to speak to one another as just two people, two equals despite his title.

His eyes slightly grew in excitement at my response and the corners of his mouth had begun to curl into a subtle grin. He leaned in, then lowered his voice so that only I could hear, "I quite enjoyed our dance the other night. You being so close to me, body fitting perfectly in my hands."

A memory of his sultry breaths caressing my ear that night caused me to flush and my skin to prickle. "Indeed. We make quite the pair." He had taken what I had said completely the wrong way, but he had seemed more interested in our conversation than previously. So, in an attempt to make another good impression on him, I decided to play along.

Leaning in too, I whispered, "Bodies moving in sync, never missing a step."

I watched his lips slightly part as his grin widened. "There she is." I felt his foot softly graze my leg. "There's the enchanting girl that I had the pleasure of meeting the other night."