What Are You?

Grace calls Stefan after hearing about what happened.
"I'm here."
"Stefan, thank God. I talked to Damon, and I know what happened to Enzo."
"Bonnie... she must be... I don't even know what to say. I don't know how I can... Every time I close my eyes, I see it play out over and over again in my head. And every time I open them, I see Enzo's blood on my hands."
"Just please come home."
"I can't do that."
"Well, I'm not letting you run. Okay? So just tell me where you are. I'm coming to get you."
"No. I can't face you, and I can't face Bonnie.  Damn it. I'm being pulled over."
"Stefan..."
"Hands where I can see 'em! Step out of the car, now!"
"Stefan? Stefan! Stefan?"

"He hasn't come back."
"That's because he's on his way to Rockland County Police Department. He's been arrested."
"Okay. That's good."
"In what world is that good?"
"One where Stefan's human. His emotions are back. The memories of every drop of blood he's ever spilled are gonna be doing a square dance in his head. It's best he's not alone with all this right now. I'll meet you there. You talk to Bonnie?"
"I've left so many messages. She just won't answer her phone... I don't get it."
"Sure you do. Think about it. Can you blame her? I'll call you when I'm close."
Her phone beeps off.

Door buzzes.
"My apologies, Mr. Salvatore. You're free to go."
"Thank you. Please notify all the other agents and officers this was all a terrible mix-up. What is all this?"
"This is me."
"No. This is Cade. He made you do all this."
"And he's gonna expect me to continue. I made a deal."
"The deal's off."
"What do you mean?"
"You're human, and you're of no use to him. He's giving you until midnight, and then he wants you dead. But don't worry. Damon's on it."

"Thank you. And you're going to erase every mention of Stefan Salvatore's name from your system."
"And when did you last see your mom?"
"Yesterday. After school, she called and said she was running late. She was showing somebody a house. This is her."
"I forced that girl's mother to change the deed to Bonnie's house. But I left her for dead in the trunk of a car. They won't find that body for weeks."
"Is there someone we can call? A family member?"
"No. It's just me and my mom."
"I know. Let's go find her.""Does any familiar?""Don't know. Maybe. It'll be dark soon."
"Damon's gonna come through, okay? He will."
"Yeah? And then what? You can compel away all the evidence of what I've done. Doesn't change the fact that I did it. I can't just forget about that and go cake-tasting."
"Is that what you think of me? [chuckles] That all I care about is our wedding?"
"Look, I don't know what to think. I don't know how to deal with what I want or what I thought I was gonna have. I don't know what to do. There."
"She survived. There's still a chance."
"But for how much longer? Let's go.""Stefan?"
"No, no, no, no. Save her. Save her. Now. [grunts]"
"Come on, you have to drink. Drink! [sucking] There we go. Good [groans] You're gonna be fine. Just stay here."
flesh rips gags, coughs.
"Oh, God. The cure is in you. [coughs] My blood won't work. I can't save you. [Stefan gagging] I can't save you."

Stefan gasps.
"Where's Karen? Where is she?"
"She's okay. I compelled her to wait by the road for the ambulance. They're on their way. Just hang with me. [groaning]"
"Grace, it doesn't matter. Today, tomorrow... I know where I'm going and I deserve it."
"No, you don't, okay?"
"Yes, I do."
"You saved that woman's life."
"Doesn't matter. It's just one person."
"You are not going to give up. You are going to keep fighting. You are going to live. You are going to stay alive so you can make all of this right. [gasps] Stefan. Stefan God."

"Okay, I got antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and pain meds. I guess you wouldn't know if you're allergic to anything."
"Look, um... I know it wasn't about the wedding. I didn't mean that."
"I know. It's just when I think about what our lives are supposed to look like now, I just can't see it. Ten years from now... 20, 50... we're gonna be living entirely different lives, and we can't just... ignore that. But... it doesn't mean we have to just... throw all this away because it's not what we wanted or expected."
"I just have no idea how to make this right."
"I don't either."