Chapter 2 - The Restaurant

Lauren's POV

4 pm

            After my near-death experience that may or may not have been partially my fault (I won't admit that out loud), I went to my Child development class and was finally done with school for the day. I don't have to be at work until 5:30 so I spent my time in the library organizing my notes and studying for my next exam. My dream was to be a licensed Trauma Psychologist with a focus on adolescent physical and sexual abuse. Right now, I also work as a clinical psychology intern and have a few patients of my own but I wasn't quite at my goal yet.

         I knew of way too many children who have been abused and while I would love nothing more than to burn the assaulters to a crisp, I want my contribution to the world to be focused on helping those children. They have had their lives and innocence stripped from them by disgusting creatures.

People don't think big enough, they make excuses or at least send predators to prison (when actually convicted) but that's too good for them. When you watch the news people care about the publicity and the trial but what happens after? There is no mental rehabilitation for either party moving forward, just some metal bars and a lifetime of sleepless nights. Children in this case are very easily lost to the system and soon forgotten with nothing on their backs but horrifying memories. I know what that's like and I hope to do something about that even if it just helps one child, they are worth it.

        Yes, I hate waking up early, sitting through boring lectures, and writing pages of notes but I know it'll all be worth it in the end. Even the student loans break my soul every time I see that due balance.

               Aniyah is a little different from me but we both want to work with children. She goes to NYU and is currently a first-year Pediatric Surgical Resident. I am so proud of her for being this close to her dreams and flourishing. This job was meant for her, she's a huge biological science nerd and loves children. I have no doubt she will have at least 3 kids, she comes from a huge family so it was made for her to be a natural. We met at the Library of Howard University and have been inseparable ever since. It just so happened that we both ended up going to grad school in New York City so it worked out perfectly and we have been living together ever since.

Walking into this soul-sucking restaurant, I greeted my coworkers Ana and Joshua. They were always friendly and made working here bearable. We hung out together at the club a few times but I'm too antisocial to go any further.
"Hey guys." 

Joshua grinned at me blowing a bubble with his gum, his strawberry blonde hair was gel-spiked up accentuated by his smokey eye. I expect nothing less from the biggest makeup lover I've ever seen.

"Loooorrrde ! Your favorite person in the world is looking for you."  I grimaced not only at that god-awful nickname he never let go of but at the thought of having to face my manager Nate again. Every day is a prayer not to lose my job. My daily affirmation is 'I won't go crazy and curse him out when he says something sexist, racist, or condescending.'

This 50-year-old pasty-ass bald-headed bitch really wanted the smoke with me as if I won't step outside and show him these hands work. It would be different if he treated everyone like an asshole but he didn't, it was just me and I dared him to fire me for no reason. I would sue so fast my student loans would be paid by tomorrow.

" Don't start Josh. I'm just gonna avoid him and we're gonna have a peaceful day today with no hiccups. I do my time and get the hell out ." Who am I trying to convince, me or them?
"You Make this place sound like a Jail." Ana chuckles and shakes her head. Nate, of course, never gave her any problems.