Chapter 18 - As time goes

Lauren's Pov
8 weeks later **

           Time has gone by and it couldn't be more perfect . Axel and i saw each other a lot and had sex even more . Aniyah and Gio hung out with us frequently (with out sex again of course) and everything seemed to fall in place .
Christmas came and went and on that night we had a big family dinner. Axel gave me all kinds of expensive gifts and said that the only thing he wanted was from me was my cooking .

I continued my weekly talks with Dr. Rose and even got assigned more patients.

          One that i really looked forward to the most - aside from Milo- was a woman named Martha. She was a younger white women with thick glasses and brown freckles . Martha was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive disorder and no, that didn't just mean she cleans her house every minute.

         Martha's obsession was with numbers . Even thing had to be at an even number .  What time she ate , used the bathroom, the temperature of her house , the steps she takes , everything had to be even .

"It's good to see you again Martha , How have you been?"

Martha stares at her watch and i notice she's waiting until it's exactly 1:04pm to speak

"Not the best , i keep drawing attention to myself and i hate the stares i get when i count the stairs or the skittles in the bag . People think I'm crazy"

she says sighing .

"Okay i do want to talk about that but let me ask first , a few weeks ago you mentioned trying a new medication. Has that helped at all ?"

she looks down at her watch and stares around the room until it hits an even number

"the Flucitine and the Setriline work sometimes but it's triggering anxiety attacks outside when people stare at me while i count the water bottles in a pack ."

'plan for regulating routine with counting'
i write

"Okay Martha since we've talked about your behaviors for about 6 months now  and we've studied where it comes from and how it affects your life , i want us to try something new today . "

she looks up skeptically so i try to give her some reassurance.

"If you don't feel comfortable at anytime you have the right to stop immediately. I do want you to keep in mind that this is designed to push you against your limits but i will be there the entire time to guide you"

She nods her head and i walked to my desk grabbing a cup of pens and pencils.

i take out 7 pencils and hand them to her. With a shaky hand she grabs them and holds them flinching

"What feelings come up as you hold the pencils" i ask observing her body language

"i-i want to put one back and recount them . i-i -" her voice shakes and her hands shake as tears come to her eyes .

"would you like to take a break Martha?"

"y-yes please"

The rest of our session we practice holding odd numbered items and i gave her homework to try that at least once a day for a full 5 minutes without putting it down .

        As my work day ends , I tell my supervisor everything and head back to my office when a receptionist comes to the door
"There's a man here to see you"

Axel came to my job ?

"send him in please " i wonder if something happened..

      instead , in walked a middle aged man with a jesus cross necklace.
"Hi my name is Special Agent Dan with the FBI , i wanted to ask you a few questions if you don't mind ."