𝟬𝟬𝟭 Dangerous Curiosity

CHAPTER ONE
Dangerous Curiosity

❝Well, your curiosityjust put us all in danger!❞

just put us all in danger!❞

· · ─────────── ·𖥸· ─────────── · ·

  ZHANG Feifei has never laid eyes on a Fire Nation ship before. This is her first.

  Whenever she wanders through the forests near Ch'uan's shore, the ocean stretches endlessly, untouched except for Ryujin, the Sea Monster. It often greets her with a playful flick of its massive, scaly tail. But today, the sea offers something different, something strange. Her heart quickens as her gaze locks onto the enormous maroon ships, their sails heavy with the Fire Nation's flags, bearing their fierce insignia. She squints, trying to make sense of the unexpected scene before her.

  "The Fire Nation?" she whispers, her voice barely audible as confusion furrows her brow. "I've never seen them before... why are they here?"

  A sudden rustling of leaves behind her makes her turn. Ming-Yue, her best friend and the prince, is rummaging through bushes, filling his bag with berries and fruits they've found nearby. It was Feifei's idea to come here, exploring the island's hidden corners, far from the routine of training with the other Moon Warriors and their masters.

  The islanders despise Avatar Suijin, the founder of Ch'uan, whose name is now shrouded in disgrace. She once fell in love with a man from the Fire Nation, and they say that love poisoned her, leading her down a dark path of betrayal. Legends whisper of the devastation she caused, not just to her enemies, but to her own people and allies. Suijin's name has been erased from the history books, her story forbidden, her legacy remembered only with bitterness by the young.

  But not Feifei. She refuses to accept the lies and myths passed down by the elders without question. If Suijin were truly corrupt and wicked, she wouldn't be the Avatar.

  "Ming-Yue! Look!" Feifei slaps her friend's leg, trying to pull his attention away from the bush where he's gathering berries. Ming-Yue has always had a weakness for berries, something Feifei has never quite understood. "Have you ever seen those ships before?"

  Without even glancing up, Ming-Yue shrugs, still focused on picking berries.

  "Mm, no," he mutters, barely listening. "Now, don't bother me. I still have a lot of berries to──"

  "Enough with those stupid berries!" Feifei hisses, snatching his bag of fruits with a sharp tug. She rolls her eyes when he groans in protest. "Look at those ships, Your Highness! Oh, wait──allow me, a humble servant, to request your precious royal eyes to witness those Fire Nation ships, Prince Ming-Yue," she adds in a theatrical voice, bowing with exaggerated flair.