Chapter 9: First Mission (Hawkeye)

The week had arrived and Fulvus couldn't help but dart around in excitement. Clint was gathering arrows, guns, and whatever else he needed. Fulvus had all of his weapons already on him; talons, claws, and a sharp beak.

"Stop pacing," ordered Clint as he grabbed the rest of the arrows that he needed and stuck them in his quiver. "It's impossible to get anything done with you running around like that."

Fulvus lowered his head into his shoulders before he pranced over to Clint. "Aren't you excited?! Our first mission?"

"More like nerve-racking," corrected Clint as he grabbed a few pistols just in case. "A million ways to die or be killed. Now don't do anything reckless."

Fulvus shook his head. "No one is going to be killed. We're going to be fine," he assured as he he lifted a talon to his mouth and trimmed it a bit. Once he was finished he looked back to Clint. "Why are you so nervous? This can't be your first mission."

Clint chuckled. "Not here but it's a lot different with different people that I don't know and don't trust yet."

"But you trust me," pointed out Fulvus with bright eyes. "So as long as we're together I won't let anything that I can help hurt you."

Clint turned and stroked Fulvus between the ears. "I'll look after you two but remember that the mission comes first. We trained and we're ready for it."

Fulvus nodded before Fury came in with a group of agents. They were all in black and looked ready for war. That made Fulvus a bit nervous to see how serious things were.

"So what's the mission," asked Clint as she stood behind Fulvus.

Fury turned to the group. "You seven are being sent to a secret location to infiltrate a facility to retrieve a substance."

"What's the substance," asked one of the agents from the back.

Fury raised an eyebrow. "That's a need to know basis that only I need to know. It's in a container and I'm sure that Fulvus will be able to find it."

Fulvus tilted his head. "I have absolutely no idea what I need to find. No one told me," he argued as he looked up to Clint, wondering if he knew.

Fury kneeled down and looked into Fulvus's eyes. "You'll know what to do. You'll be able to scent it and it'll smell a lot different than everything else."

Fulvus dipped his head but he wasn't sure if he'd be able to find it. A taller man looked down on Fulvus and Clint. "Are you ready? This is going to be a dangerous mission and we're going to have to take some people out. Are you sure that you're ready for this?"

Fulvus and Clint gave two firm nods before they led him out of the training room and someone deeper into the base. Fulvus hadn't been this far and from the look on Clint's face he was sure that he hadn't been this deep either. However, it was thrilling!

They arrived at what appeared to be a ship but it was looking a lot like a weird shaped animal, maybe a worm or something. "It's a quinjet," explained Fury before Fulvus could even ask. "It's perfectly safe and very quiet."

Fulvus gulped before he boarded with Clint right beside him. Fulvus found a spot where he could sit. He began to preen his feathers in case of an emergency flight. Clint settled beside him, thrusting his supplies on the floor beside Fulvus. Fulvus lowered his head and began to rummage through the bag.

He found grenades, bullets, and other things that he wasn't sure what they were. He even found rope. "What is all this for," he inquired as he drew back.

Clint shrugged. "Don't know, one of them just gave it to me." He motioned to the agents who were flocking around and readying the ship.

Fury stood at the entrance of the quinjet as it closed. "Bring back that substance. Our group depends on it."