Listen To Me: Chapter 13

(Max p.o.v.)

It was Wednesday night, another day I have been dreading this week. Most of my stuff has been shipped already to my new apartment in Maine. I've been staying at Gaven's place pretty much the whole week. Courtney is staying at a hotel with Sam because Gaven kicked them out of his place and I kicked them out of mine.

I sat in the middle of my box-filled living room and sighed lightly. James would be coming by later to take the rest of the boxes to my new apartment. I've seen pictures of it, the apartment. It's on the coast...its alright I guess. I like Seattle better.

I put my headphones in my ear and pressed play on my iPod. I bit my lip and slid down onto the ground. Ed Sheeran's voice sounded like pen on paper or icing on a cake. Either way, he was flawless beyond belief.

"I want to be drunk when I wake up, on the right side of the wrong bed." I sang quietly.

I sat up slowly and looked around my empty apartment. I think I should go clubbing tonight. One more time with Courtney...that would make her happy. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and dialed Courtney's number. I tore my headphones out and pressed the phone to my ear.

"Hey, I want to go clubbing tonight." I told her.

"Oh, okay, why weren't you at work?"

"Ah, I wasn't feeling so hot, but I am now." I lied to her.

"Okay, how about I come over-"

"No...I'll go over to your place, okay?" I replied quickly. "My place is a mess."

"Oh, okay, come on over to the hotel." She replied.

I thanked her and hung up. I walked out of my apartment and downstairs. I ran outside and to my car. I drove out of the parking lot and to the hotel that Courtney was staying at. She basically moved into the hotel. She took all her clothes with her. I checked myself in and walked over to the elevator. When I reached Courtney's floor, I ran down the hallway and knocked on her door.

"Okay, calm down," Courtney laughed, pulling me in.

"Gaven and Sam are at work today...we need to get ready fast." I told her, running over to her closet.

"Wait...what's the rush?" Courtney asked, her face going blank. "Max...what's wrong?"

I closed my eyes and put my hand on my forehead. "I'm moving."

"What?"

"Yeah, on Friday...my father is shipping me off to Maine forever." I replied, turning around slowly.

"But...Gaven, Sam, and I."

"I'm sorry...you can't tell Gaven or Sam." I told her.

"I have to!" She cried.

"No, if you tell Gaven, he will want to go with me. I don't want him to lose his job. I don't want him to care that I'm gone. I just want all of you to forget me." I begged. "Please...please don't tell Gaven."

Courtney looked away and a tear ran down her rosy cheeks, "What time on Friday?"

"Well...its Saturday morning at two in the morning." I shrugged.

"You're already packed?"

I nodded, "A few of your things are at the apartment and all of my stuff is being shipped to Maine today and tomorrow. The only thing I need for my flight is my purse."

"So, I'm never going to see my best friend ever again?" Courtney asked, wiping her tears away.

"You can visit me any time."