Listen To Me: Chapter 16

Chapter 16: (Max p.o.v.)

I kissed Max's cheek and slipped out of bed. I walked into the bathroom and turned the shower on. Quickly, I slipped my briefs off and stepped into the hot water. I shivered slightly and washed myself a few times over. I closed my eyes and leaned against the wall for a moment.

"Gaven," Max whispered.

I moved my head away from the shower curtain and smiled at her.

"Yes?"

"I'm going to work. I'll see you later." She answered.

"Okay, babe," I replied, frowning.

"What's the matter?"

"Uh, I just thought that you would be staying home today." I answered, putting my hand underneath the water.

"No, I have a job that I can't lose. It's the least I can do...my father wouldn't appreciate it if I lost the job he set up for me." She muttered.

I furrowed my eyebrows together, "What? Say that again."

"My father gave me the job."

"So the reason why you left me...is because your father made you move?" I asked, my blood pressure rising.

She walked over to me and smiled, "Can we talk about this later?"

"Yeah."

"Thank you."

She kissed me gently on the lips and walked out of the bathroom. I frowned and closed the shower curtain. I put my head underneath the water and let it fall down my body. I pressed my hand against the wall and turned the water off. I had a feeling that something bad was going to happen to Max.

(Max p.o.v.)

I sat at my desk, doing my charts, and minding my own business. I scribbled a prescription for my patient and sighed lightly. A pain in my stomach made me pause for a moment.

"Baby, what's wrong?" I asked, rubbing my stomach. "Are you okay?"

The painful feeling went away and I frowned and shrugged it off. I started writing some things in for my patient's charts. The pain started again and I dropped my pen.

"Baby," I moaned quietly. "Someone get a nurse!"

My assistant ran into the room and helped me out of my seat. Come on baby, please be okay. I was pulled into a room and my baby's doctor, Doctor Hayden walked into the room.

"What's wrong?" He asked me, grabbing a stethoscope.

"My stomach is killing me."

He nodded slowly and looked at me carefully as he set his stethoscope down.

"Where's the pain?"

"Everywhere."

"Set up and OR immediately!" Doctor Hayden yelled.

"What's wrong with me?"

He looked at me carefully, "Calm down, everything is going to be just fine."

"It better be!"

(Gaven p.o.v.)

That gut feeling was right...something was wrong with Max. I got a call from Courtney telling me to rush down to the hospital as soon as possible. So...I did exactly that. I drove to the hospital as fast as the speed limit would permit me. I parked the car in the front of the hospital and sprinted inside. I ran to the front desk and grabbed onto the male nurses' shoulders.

"Where's Max?" I cried.

"In the operating room, please take a seat in the waiting room." He instructed.

"Why the hell is she in the OR?" I yelled. He said nothing to me. "Is it the baby?!"

"Yes."

I put my face in my hands and paced back and forth for a moment. I walked into the waiting room and sat down on the couch, tears falling down my face.

"Mr. Porter, the doctor wants to have a word." A nurse informed me.

I looked up and sniffed lightly. Standing next to her was a doctor. He had on a lab coat and a stethoscope. His expression was grim and his eyes were full of sorrow. Something terrible must have happened. I tried to hold myself together as I walked over to the doctor. He forced a smile and showed me down a long hallway.

"Mr. Porter," He whispered.

"Is Max okay? What about the baby?"

He frowned, "I'm sorry Mr. Porter, but I'm afraid that the baby is gone."

My face went blank and every emotion I've been keeping inside suddenly burst inside of me like a time bomb. I leaned against the wall as hit tears poured down my face. I punched the wall in fury, causing a slight dent and a throbbing hand.

"Mr. Porter...would you like to see Max?" He asked in a calm voice.

I nodded slowly and wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Does she know?" I questioned him.

He shook his head, "She's asleep now, but I will inform her when she wakes up."

I nodded slowly and sighed heavily as he directed me into Max's room. He let me in and closed the door behind me. I thanked him quietly and walked over to Max's bed. I stood next to her and pressed my lips against her cheek. I pulled up a chair and sat next to her, taking her hand in mine. I kissed her knuckles softly and rubbed the back of her hand. I looked at her flattened stomach and tears fell down my cheeks again.

"I love you, Max, no matter what." I whispered, resting my cheek against the soft sheets.

I frowned as her grip tightened around my hand. She winced quietly and opened her eyes slowly. Her hand grazed her stomach and a quiet gasp escaped from her lips.

"Max..."

She said nothing to me as my eyes focused on hers. Her beautiful eyes were now filled with tears, slowly trailing down her cheeks and onto her chest. I climbed into the bed with her and held her in my arms as she sobbed quietly into my chest. She was broken...she was done...she was scared..and she was gone.