Chapter Five - I'm So Sorry

Logan Wallace (17)

21st September 2007 - Denver, Colorado

I hate myself. I hate everything about me. I didn't before. No, not when I was normal. My family don't even know, nor do my friends. There still is no name for who I am- -what I am. Everyday, I fear for my life. I fear that they will find me and hang me like they did to the others. Rumor has it that someone out there is creating a government to stop and capture people like me.

Potentiprohiberis. That's what I control. I've never met anyone who could control the same power as I, but I guess every 'freak' is different. I have the ability to stop things. I could stop people using their powers, I could stop pacemakers, hearts and other body organs and so much more. The best thing I could make come to a halt was time. I could freeze time and walk around as if it was a normal day. I liked my power, but I didn't like how I had to control it.

Vividly, I remember the day when I got my powers. The pain I went through when my senses regenerated and became stronger- -when I became stronger. Bright yellow shards, that looked a little like lightning, hissed around my hands as I stood in bedroom drenched in a feeling, that now feels normal, called fear.

At first I was angry about my powers. I didn't want to be forced into a lifestyle I was afraid of. When I discovered my new abilities, I destroyed most things in my room. I flung around pieces of furniture, binned nearly every football trophy I won, punched the walls a couple of times then started to smash picture frames containing memories of a better time. No-one could see the state my room was in, no-one could know then I'll never be caught or killed. Plus, my family would be safe.

While being cocooned in my white comforter, I listened to the sound of the brash gusts of wind attack the thin window that hung over my bed. Rain streaked down the glass and the warmth of my room collided with the specs of cold water making condensation cloud my view of the street. Every now and then a car would zoom past, clashing with puddles causing them to splash our rain-soaked garden. The concrete slabs that made up the sidewalks glistened under the quick rays of sun before the clouds blocked up the light source, roads were attacked by the rain and rolled over by rubber tires. The weather outside sound showed the mood I was feeling while a hurricane ripped up my insides and toyed with my brain.

Hunger was creeping over me. The want for food was battling against the feeling of fatigue and wanting to hide away forever and ever until the 'freak-outbreak' stopped. Stop being such a wimp and go get some food, Logan. Listening to the annoying voice in my brain, that surprisingly sounded like my older sister, Darcy, - my favorite sibling out of the lot, I crawled out of bed and tugged a green t-shirt over my chest after straightening out my gray tracksuit bottoms.

My bare feet hit the cold wooden floorboards as I stepped out onto the landing. The house sounded eerily silent. For some reason, I didn't like this one bit. If everyone went out, why didn't they tell me? Armed with the biggest Nerf gun I could find lying around the hallway, I walked down the glazed, wooden stairs. Loading the foam bullet gun, which wasn't going to any damage to anyone if a killer or psychopath was roaming around my house, I checked every room in the house. Empty. Empty. Empty. Empty. That was until I edged towards my kitchen were the distance sound of music from a speaker was heard. I turned into the room to find Darcy dancing around making herself a sandwich.

"Darcy," I grumbled in an annoyed tone, still holding the toy gun. My 22-year-old sister took no notice of me and continued to swing a bag of cats against the wall. She was never destined to have a singing career.