Chapter Seven (Part One) - Revenge Is A Dish Best Served Red

Eden Fitzgerald

25th May 2015 - Santa Monica, Los Angeles

Tears cascaded down my face, stinging my eyes and staining my cheeks. I forgot about the world around me and focused on what was lying on the ground in front of me. I remembered the face I had seen a few days before, Miles Ranger, I saw him a couple of times back in Curdun Cay. I knew what he was doing in this city, I knew what he belonged to. All this information sunk in when he arrived at my temporary home and handed me and pale yellow envelope.

Within this envelop was my biggest nightmare, the thing I never wanted to happen. Photos of my family, in England, dead. Miles told me that since I helped out the woman, who I found out to be called Jennifer, he wanted me to suffer. So a friend of his in London, massacred my family. My brother, sister, mother and father all laid dead in our old family home. Blood seeped out from deep wounds engraved into their bodies by a conduit, emotionless faces stared aimlessly into the lens of the camera the photos were taken on. I didn't deserve this...I was being a good person. I lost all of my family. Everyone I loved, gone - just like that.

I was surrounded by the horrific photos. I clutched my stomach and covered my mouth with my right hand, preventing my cries to by heard. Flopping onto my side, I brought my knees to my nose and curled up into a ball. I wish I could just disappear...It would make everything easier.

The wind started to pick up, I felt like it could just pick me up and take me away. But it chose one of the photos instead. Out of the corner of my eye, I watched as the piece of glossy paper floated into the wind. My vision blurred once again, my breathing went haywire as I began to sob, but I refrained myself from making too much of a fuss since a conversation was to be heard from the other side of the roof. From where I was, it was muffled but I could tell it was between a woman and two men.

Loud footsteps ran towards me as I pulled up from the ground. I stopped myself from crying, wiping my eyes and nose when I locked eye-contact with the face of the woman I saved from the hands of my family's killer. Well sort-of. "Wh-What are you doing here?" I stuttered shaking on the spot while two of the guys Jennifer was with picked up the remaining photographs.

"We came to see you," She explained looking saddened at my state. "We wanted to ask you a few questions, see if you wanted to help us- -But what happened here? Who are those people in the photos?" Jennifer looked so confused as she was handed the images by a familiar face - one that had been on the news everywhere. Delsin Rowe.

I tried to keep it in, I didn't want to seem weak in front of these guys. But at the same time an ocean was swarming inside me needing to be set free. So I brought my bare knees to my chin and rested my forehead on them as I began to cry. "Th-They're my- -my family,"

"What?" Jennifer whispered, lost for words. She pulled me into a hug and I just cried into her shoulder. My tears were soaked up by the black clothing of her top as I shook in her arms. "I told you she wasn't an enemy- -She didn't do anything but heal me," She hissed at the other man with her and Delsin.

As I calmed down, I sat up straight and wriggled myself out of Jennifer's arms. Delsin sat down next to her and looked at me, for some reason, to me, he gave off a bad vibe. "Who did this?" He asked quietly.