Interlude: Last Years of the Conciliator's Reign

The Red Keep, King's Landing

101 AC

"As you know, my two eldest sons left behind two rival bloodlines for the Iron Throne." Jaehaerys said. He had summoned as many lords as he could to the Red Keep.

"But I will not let them tear apart Westeros. So, I declare Dorian Targaryen, Heir of of my Heir, Prince Viserys, betrothed to Lady Daenaera Velaryon! They shall marry once they turn seven and ten, uniting the lines of Princes Aemon and Baelon!" the Conciliator decreed.

There were pleased whispers and murmurs from those who had supported Laenor. House Baratheon especially looked pleased with this—Jocelyn's bloodline would sit on the Iron Throne.

The Red Keep, King's Landing

102 AC

As a the Princess of Dragonstone, Rhaella was expected to have Ladies in Waiting.

She chose her friends—her true friends and other acquaintance she could trustas her ladies.

First was the nineteen year old Lady Aella Velaryon was one of them, her third cousin through her great grandmother, Alyssa Velaryon. She was betrothed to Lord Tarth's heir, Ser Henry Tarth, and sported long silver hair and lavender eyes.

Daenaera was serving as her cupbearer as well.

The next was fifteen year old Lady Danielle Strong, the daughter of Lyonel Strong. Rhaella had shown her the ropes of how to navigate the court at Alysanne's request, and so she did, befriending the girl in the process.

Daniella had brown hair and green eyes, with a lovely singing voice. She was the most feminine of her ladies, but she did enjoy horse back riding, and knew all the gossip of the royal court.

Third was twenty year old Jocasta Royce. The two had been friends since they were four and six respectively.

Jocasta was well read and intelligent, with a bawdy tongue and one of the best archers in the royal court with her double curve bow.

Fourth was nineteen year old Olenna Redwyne, with dark hair and deep blue eyes, at sixteen. Intelligent, shrewd, and cunning, the best at politics of her ladies, with a sharp and scathing tongue. She was betrothed to Lord Matthos Tyrell, who was three years her elder.

Rumor had it she had seduce Matthos and had him bed her, breaking his betrothal to her older sister Rosalie. Which was something the Sky Dragon and her ladies laughed over because it was a stunt Olenna was absolutely pull.

The Queen of Thorns, the court had dubbed her.

Olenna had revealed that Rosalie was in love with Lord Rowan's heir, Jason Rowan, who loved her back. But their father refused the match, and so Olenna seduce and bedded Matthos so Rosalie could arrange her own betrothed to Jason.

At Jaehaerys request, she took Lady Ella Manderly as her fifth lady in waiting. Rhaella originally felt bad for Ella, as the only Northern in the royal court, but Ella only shrugged.

"I am only Lord Mason Manderly's niece, who took me in after my father Ser Lucas died, and he was Lord Theomore's third son. I don't have many prospects with other female cousins to contend with—maybe I can find a betrothed here." Ella merely shrugged when Olenna inquired about her marriage status in the North.

The Hand of the King offered his daughter Alicent as a lady in waiting, but she declined. She was considering a Stormlander as a lady in waiting, with so many Stormlords offering their daughters, nieces, or female cousins to be her ladies.

"I've noticed that you and Viserys haven't had children since the twins." Olenna spoke, sipping her tea. The silver-white haired princess was in the gardens with her ladies.

Rhaella looked up. "According to my personal Maester, Gerardys, whose mother and six older sisters served as midwives, the more the mother waits in-between pregnancies, the better chance she has to survive childbirth. 

Aella hummed. "That makes since. I'll tell Henry this when we marry."

"And make sure to threaten him if he doesn't." Jocasta advised.

"I'll step in if he doesn't agree." Rhaella offered Aella. 

Aella beamed. "Thank you, Princess."

"How long until a new dragon prince or dragon princess comes along?" Ella inquired.

"Viserys and I waiting a year or two before we try again." the Skystrider said simply.

The Red Keep, 103 AC

Otto tried to wedge Alicent into the Targaryens with her as Jaehaerys caretaker. Rhaella swiftly dismissed Alicent and she took over her grandfather's care.

Dorian and Rhaenyra helped their great grandfather when he needed it.

But in 103 AC, Jaehaerys died while Rhaella was reading to him.

And Viserys was now King of Westeros.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it.