Leaving the Dragon's Nest

The Red Keep, King's Landing

Late 124 AC

Visenya knew she would be leaving to foster in Highgarden today.

She had hugged her siblings, kissed her mothers cheeks, and embraced her grandmother before her Kepa would escort her to Highgarden.

Her Uncle Daeron had died of a fever recently, and thus Grandmother and Queen Alicent weren't there today.

Not that she wanted them to send her off.

Aelyx would be fostering in Winterfell—he would leave a week after her.

"Do not give them any eggs, no matter what. They will want eggs of their own—they will want you to marry their heirs. Simon seems different. You can trust Olenna, she will help you learn politics." Grandmother murmured in her ear. "What are our words?"

"Fire and Blood." Visenya nodded, before she turned around and walked over to Shrykos.

Let's fly. she urged. With a roar, Shrykos kicked off, Vermithor following quickly.

Highgarden, the Reach

Early 125 AC

The seat of House Tyrell was just like she remembered from the royal progress. Simon had taken her on a tour of the castle.

Highgarden was located on a broad verdant hill overlooking the Mander. The castle was surrounded by three rings of white stone whose crenellated curtain walls increased in height. Between the outer and middle walls was a famous briar labyrinth which served to entertain as well as slow invaders.

The oldest towers, squat and square, dated from the Age of Heroes. Newer towers were taller and slender, with round fortifications dating from after the coming of the Andals.

The castle sept, which had rows of stained-glass windows honoring Garth Greenhand and the Seven, was matched only by the Starry Sept in Oldtown. The castle's godswood contained three weirwoods known as the Three Singers. 

The palatial keep was decorated with statues and colonnades. Also within Highgarden's walls were groves, fountains, and courtyards. The castle's structures were covered in ivy, grapes, and climbing roses.

Highgarden was filled with flowers, singers, pipers, fiddlers and harpers. The stables had a fine selection of horseflesh, and there were pleasure boats similar to Grandfather Corlys's to sail along the Mander. 

There were fields of golden roses that stretch as far as the eye could see. Fruits grown nearby include melons, peaches, and fireplums.

"Prince Dorian, Princess Visenya." Lord Matthos greeted with a large smile. "It is an honor to foster Princess Visenya. The accommodations for Shrykos have been made."

Kepa gave a curt nod. "Good. I'll be staying for a few days to ensure everything goes smoothly."

Visenya was seated next to Simon that night for dinner. She ignored all the other lordlings and heirs in favor of talking to her new friend.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it.