Chapter 9

Sunday morning easily rolled around. But when I woke up, Giyuu was no longer by my side. Just as he'd promised, he must have moved back to his own bed after holding me until I was fast asleep. Wait——holding me? HOLDING ME?

WHAT THE HELL, Y/N? WHAT WERE YOU THINKING ASKING HIM TO HOLD YOU? YOU DON'T LIKE HIM ROMANTICALLY, YOU'RE JUST FRIENDS! WHY CAN'T YOU GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL?

"You idiot!" I whispered loudly to myself, "You idiot!"

I banged on my head incessantly with the palm of my hand. When I looked up from the self-imposed scolding, I noticed that Giyuu's eyes were open, watching me with much concern.

"What are you doing?" He asked, his voice still raspy from the fresh morning.

I flashed him an awkward smile before pretending like I had no idea what he was talking about.

He frowned, pondering this.

"Well, maybe I dreamt it," he reasoned; he was still half-asleep, after all, "I'm gonna hop in the shower. Want to grab breakfast afterward?"

I nodded with much vigor.

"That sounds great! I'll get dressed!"

———

I collected the dirty laundry from the floor of the bedroom. We traded off weeks doing the laundry, to keep things fair. After separating them, I stuffed the dark clothes into the washer, starting the cycle.

"Hey, Y/N, do you know where my sweatshirt is?"

I turned around after hearing my roommate's voice to see him shirtless, only in a pair of sweatpants, his hair still wet from the shower. I tried to make myself look the other way, but my eyes were glued to his perfectly toned arms and core. Just as I had expected, he was slender, yet muscular and fit. I wondered what it would be like to embrace him in that very moment, rubbing my needy hands across his broad back. But then, I cleared my throat, gaining my disturbed composure.

"I-I just threw it in the wash," I explained, "It was dirty."

At long last, I had found the strength to glance away, keeping my wandering eyes on the wallpaper rather than my beautifully sculpted best friend.

"Alright, I'll grab something else then. Thanks for washing it."

When Giyuu once again emerged from the bedroom, he was sporting a white t-shirt and his long hair was tied back nicely. He looked so clean.

"What have you done with my best friend?" I demanded, "You never used to sleek your hair back so neatly, o-or wear shirts that show off your body."

He gazed at me like I was going crazy (maybe I was, actually).

"I've always done my hair like this," he protested, "And I would wear something else, but it's laundry day."

I whined in frustration.

"No! You're different somehow, Giyuu! I don't know how to explain it!"
He furrowed his brow and chuckled a little.

"Why are you getting so worked up about this? I'm telling you, I'm just the same old me," he assured.

For some reason, those words were very comforting to me. I didn't need to feel anxious around him, he was simply the Giyuu Tomioka I knew.

"Sorry," I said, instantly calming down, "I'm kind of out of it today."
He gently squeezed my shoulder.

"I understand. Don't feel bad about it. Let's go to iHOP again, alright? You can get those soggy pancakes you like."

I clenched my fists.