Twelve

A crack of thunder had the entire apartment shaking at 6 AM, waking all the occupants besides Paislee inside. Riley groaned and got up, rubbing her eyes as she went to her and Paislee's bathroom so she could brush her teeth. She then went back to her room and put on a hoodie and some leggings before straightening her hair and throwing on some makeup.

Both Hailey and Jay also got up, getting ready as Paislee slept right through the storm. The three met in the kitchen, all shuffling around each other as coffee was poured and bagels were popped into the toaster.

"It's pouring," Riley said as she watched the water hit the lake and lightning flash across the sky. "How is Pais sleeping through this?"

"She sleeps through a lot," Jay chuckled, watching the storm with her. "You got your stuff ready?"

"Yeah, I just have to eat," She smiled as her bagels popped up.

"Riley, bagel," Hailey told her, pulling it out and setting it on a plate.

"Thanks, Hail," She smiled, grabbing the butter and spreading it over the toasted circle.

——————

"I'll see you later, have a good day," Hailey told the teen, giving her a quick hug, "Love you,"

"Love you too," Riley grinned, getting out of the car as she pulled her hood over her head. "Bristol!" She yelled, getting the other girl's attention as Hailey drove off.

Both girls headed into the school, going through one class before meeting up in Mrs. Kaynes' room. The rain had not let up and had only gotten worse, causing leaks in the ceiling of the old school building. By the end of the period, a trashcan was halfway full of water in the room.

"Attention students and staff," A voice came over the PA system, "Due to the storm worsening as well as some leaks in our building, we will be letting out early and dismissing students in 30 minutes. Teachers, if there is a leak in your classroom, please submit a maintenance request. Thank you," the principal stated, making all of the students clap and cheer.

"Okay guys, okay. I know we're all excited to get home but let's keep it down. Go ahead and call or text your parents, make sure they're on their way," Mrs. Kaynes told her students as she sat back at her desk. Riley nodded and smiled as she pulled her phone out of her pocket.

Riley: Hey, did either of you see the email from school?

Jay: Yeah. We're on surveillance right now so Will is on his way. School knows.

Riley: taking me home or with him?

Jay: no clue kiddo.

Riley: Got it. Love you both, be safe!

Jay: we are. Love you too

Riley set her phone back down, watching the videos that Mrs. Kaynes put on the screen.

After 20 minutes or so, the school was let out and most students were waiting under the school awning for their parents.

Riley kept an eye out for Will's SUV and smiled when it came into view a few cars back.

As soon as he was close enough, Riley hopped in the car with her oldest brother.