Seventeen

After talking with the doctor, Jay and Hailey went back inside to wait for Riley to wake up.

She started to stir around a half hour after they had talked with Dr. Choi, which had both of them by the bed in a second.

"Hey honey," Hailey smiled, squeezing her hand gently.

"What'd they say?" Riley mumbled, rubbing her eyes with her free hand.

"Wake up a little first," Jay chuckled, excited to tell her but also wanting her to be a little more coherent.

"I wanna know," the girl mumbled, sitting up a little.

"Okay. Okay," Hailey sighed, helping her sit up before sitting on her bed. "So. You had your MRI and CT. And Dr. Choi thought we should wait a few more weeks,"

"Really?"

"No,"

"No?" Riley asked, looking at Jay.

"You're cleared,"

"What?! I am?!" She shrieked, obviously in shock.

"You are," they confirmed again.

"Finally!!"

They both grinned at the girl who'd become more their daughter than a sister. The couple loved seeing her happy and seeing her life come together again.

"Okay but no more hospital visits, Jays freaked out here," Hailey joked, making Riley laugh.

They headed back to the district with a happy teenager. On the way, Riley pulled her phone out and immediately pulled up Bristol's messages.

"Who you texting over there?" Jay asked, watching Riley smile from the seat beside him

"Bristol," she replied, keeping her eyes on her phone.

Jay just nodded with a grin, pulling into the district's parking lot.

Once they got upstairs, Hailey emailed Riley's coach, letting her know that she was cleared for soccer and Riley would be bringing the papers when school reopened.

Riley was in the break room, napping on and off, and also doing some schoolwork when she was awake. She was focused on some math homework when her phone vibrated with a text from her coach.