Cut Open: chapter twelve

I awoke to the sound of knocking on the door. I don't know which door it was, but it sounded far away. the hammering of bone and skin against the wooden door started to quicken. I rolled over onto my stomach, grabbed the nearest pillow and embedded my face into it. Make it stop, just make the noise stop.

"Alright, alright I'm coming!" Someone yelled. The voice sounded like Josh's, but something muffled it which made it sound a little deeper.

The door forcefully opened, and muffled voices started to mumble. Ugh, I might as well wake up. Sitting up and fully opening my eyes, I look around the room. I was in Josh's room and in his bed. What happened last night? I thought I went  home after me and Josh...kissed. But I guess not, I must have fallen asleep in here last night. I looked over at the space next to me on the bed and saw that the covers were all crumpled up and thrown out of the way. Was Josh also sleeping in this bed? And now that I recall, I did wake up in the middle of the night feeling arms wrapped tightly around my waist.

I quickly jumped at the sound of the door closing. Footsteps started to make their way down the hallways and towards the room.

"Alex, you up?" Josh said, while lightly knocking on the door and cracking it open.

"Y-Yeah I'm up..." I said, pushing the covers off of me.

"Oh good," He said, while opening the door all the way and walking in," come on downstairs, I made some food for you."

"But I"m not-" I looked at Josh then quickly stopped myself. Remembering that Josh always hates it when people who don't want to eat or even taste the food he makes. And when that happens he glares at them until they get really uncomfortable and say that they'll eat it. Then he gets all happy. I don't want him to glare at me, it's really creepy," Okay."

"Good." He said, holding out his hand towards me and smiling. I took his hand then slid out of bed. While walking down the hallway, Josh didn't talk. Which was very unusual for him because he loves to talk, no matter the subject. But maybe this is just an off day for him. So I ignore it and we both enter the kitchen.

 Making our way into the kitchen, I notice that everything was neat and spotless. No broken glass, no blood, and no pills. Just like nothing had happened, but something did happen and no one can clean up the past. No matter how hard they try. They can clean up the evidence about what had happened....but not the past itself. The aroma of fluffy pancakes, sweet and sticky syrup, and crispy bacon filled the air around us. My stomach began to gurgle and growl at the food, pleaded me to feed it.

"Sounds like someone's hungry." Josh teased, while getting me a plate off the counter then handing it to me.

"Ha ha, yeah I'm starving." I said. Taking the plate and placing a hand over my starving stomach.

I slowly walk over to the counter and picked up two pancakes, two pieces of bacon, put them on my plate and drowned them in syrup. I don't know why I used so much syrup, I think that it's just a habit for me because when I was about four or five, my dad and I used to make pancakes and bacon together every Sunday morning. Once we would be done cooking we drown our pancakes and bacon in syrup and see who would get done first and the looser would have to clean the dishes and clean up all the syrup. Occasionally I would win and make my dad clean it all up, but then again he would mostly win and just make me eat another pancake. 'Such a waist of perfectly good surup. Here, just eat another pancake. Okay okay, I'll split it with you."  I miss my dad so much, and mostly everything I do, it reminds me of the good times we used to have together.

Shaking the memorise out of my head, I open a drawer and pull out a knife and fork then walk over to the breakfast table and sat down. The table was so perfectly placed in the small kitchen, that every time I came over here and ate breakfast I always felt as if I was in a movie. The small two person table was placed right underneath a big three section window. The sun peered through the glass, brightening and warming up the entire room in seconds. Butterflies started to fly around the flowers underneath the window and sometimes landed on them. The flowers were always so pretty over here at Josh's house. Roses to Magnolias, Daises to Tulips. So many types of flowers in such a small area of yard. The sound of birds chirping and the smell of freshly cut grass always made it feel like summer here. It felt so comforting, so much like...home.