Chapter 5- you are like Papa!

It was well past midnight by the time you returned home from the Halloween party.

You parked the Mustang further away from the cabin, not wanting the loud engine to wake up Hopper or El. The front door squeaked as you pushed it open and you winced at the noise, hoping nobody heard it.

Once the door latched, you turned around, but jumped out of your skin when you saw Hopper sitting on the couch with his arms folded across his chest and a bunch of candy wrappers in his lap.

Oh, you were in so much trouble.

"Shit." You swore under your breath.

"Yeah, shit is right." He responded with a chuckle that sounded borderline hysterical. "Do I even need to ask where you've been? I can smell the cheap alcohol from here."

"Fuck off. I'm too drunk to deal with this." You mumbled, walking past him towards your bedroom.

"Yet, you thought it was okay to drive home while drunk?"

Yeah, that wasn't your finest moment. But you and Billy had sobered up a fair bit while making out on Tina's front porch, so you figured it would be okay.

"I didn't crash, I made it home alive. Although, I bet you wished I didn't."

"Why would you say that?" Hopper asked, standing up from the couch, the candy wrappers falling the floor, but he didn't notice, his attention too focused on you.

"Oh, please, don't act like you care about me. Ever since I've shown up, I've just been one big problem for you. You abandoned me, Hopper. You never loved me. You never wanted me-"

"Hey, hey, that is not true." He quickly said, walking over to you. "I loved you, Y/N, you're my daughter. I never stopped loving you."

"Then why did you leave?"

He sighed, rubbing his face with his hands, but you didn't give him a chance to answer before you continued talking.

"That's all I've ever wanted to know. Why did you leave me?" You asked, unable to stop the tears from rising in your eyes.

"I just... I couldn't stay there. Losing your sister nearly killed me, I couldn't stay there after that, and I was in no condition to be looking after a child. Your mother knew that. It's why we got divorced and I moved away."

"So, you moved and got a new daughter instead of being there for me?"

"This is different."

"But you're there for your new daughter now, right? What did she do that I didn't?" You asked, silent tears falling down your face.

"It's not like that. This is different. El is different, you know that."

You just shook your head, wiping the tears from your face before you turned and walked into your room, slamming the door shut behind yourself.

"Y/N, open the door. We need to talk about this."

You sat down on your bed and hugged your knees to your chest while he knocked on the door, but you didn't answer and you heard him sigh before he walked away.

Once you thought he was out of earshot, you allowed the tears in your eyes to continue to fall and you laid down and eventually cried yourself to sleep.

-

"Friends don't lie!"

The sound of El's raised voice is what woke you up the following morning and you quickly sat up, but instantly regretted it when your head started to thump in pain.

Right, hangover. Perfect.

"You say 'soon' on day 21. You sat 'soon' on day 205. You now say 'soon' on day 326?" El's voice continued to say from the main room.