Chapter 22- Running Up That Hill

A/N: Sorry this chapter took so long! I have been out at sea working in our offshore patrol vessel for a couple of weeks and didn't have my laptop or wifi to post.
Don't worry though, I'll be back to updating this fic more frequently, so I hope you all enjoy it xx

-

Vecna.

This had to be Vecna.

Hastily, you got to your feet and looked around the now dark cemetery before a familiar, yet wrong voice filled the air.

"Y/N. I've been waiting to hear those words."

A figure slowly emerged from the fog, walking towards you and your eyes widened. There was no mistaking that police uniform from anywhere.

"Waiting so very long. But it wasn't the full truth, was it, Y/N?"

Hopper stepped closer and closer until he was standing right in front of you. A small voice in the back of your head was screaming at you to run. This wasn't real. This wasn't your father. But, you couldn't move.

He lifted his hand, cupping the side of your face and you leant into his touch as he brushed your tears away with his thumb and smiled sadly at you.

"You know, I think there's a part of you, buried somewhere deep, that wanted me to die that day. That was maybe even relieved. Happy."

You shook your head, "no, Hopper. No, that's not true."

"It's okay, you can admit it now. No more lies. No more hiding-"

"Dad, that's not true. I swear." You whimpered, fresh tears falling down your face. "I swear it's not true."

"That is why you feel such guilt." Hopper continued to say, taking another step towards you as you simultaneously took a step back.

"No." You sobbed, your voice breaking.

"Why you hide from your friends. Why you hide from Billy. Why you hide from the world."

He continued walking towards you and you kept backing away, unable to stop the tears from falling as you shook your head at his words.

"And why, late at night, you have sometimes wished to follow me. Follow me into death. That is why I am here, Y/N. To end your suffering, once and for all."

You tripped trying to take another step away and collapsed to the ground on your back with a surprised yelp. You looked back up at Hopper and your eyes widened in horror when it wasn't your father standing above you. It was Vecna.

"It is time, Y/N. Time for you to join me." Vecna announced, his voice deep and creepy.

Fuck that, nope.

You stumbled to your feet and took off sprinting in the opposite direction. Jumping and weaving through all the headstones of the cemetery, you continued to run while trying desperately to ignore the ticking noise of the clock echoing through the air.

Running had never been your most favourite thing to do, but right now you wished you would have joined Billy in his gym sessions because you were struggling to breathe as you continued to run.

You ran for what felt like hours, but was probably only a few minutes before you finally came to a stop and scanned your surroundings. Vecna was nowhere to be seen, but you had absolutely no idea where you were.

"Billy!" You screamed, looking around helplessly. "Steve! Billy, please, help! Guys!"

Suddenly, the fog to your left started to change into a glowing bright red colour, standing out amongst the dark cemetery. Without thinking twice, you ran through it only to come to an abrupt halt when the dirt below you turned into thick blood, staining the soles of your shoes a deep crimson red.