Chapter 24

"Honey, I'm home."

Lisa looks up from the laptop sitting in her lap on which she just edited a dance-practice-video for three tiring hours. She rubs her eyes and sights – still not entirely satisfied with the result.

"I'm in the living room.", she shouts back and then adds: "And don't ever call me honey again, you idiot."

It's only a second after that another person joins her on the couch with a pout on their face.
"That really hurts my feelings."

"Shut up." Lisa shoves the other girl's shoulder playfully and sets aside her computer before looking up into her best friend's eyes again.

Chaeyoung grins and moves closer to Lisa – side-hugging her and burying her nose into the Thai girl's neck.

"Where's Jennie?", the blonde asks after a moment of silence – never breaking their embrace as Lisa moves to get them into a slightly more comfortable position.

"She's at work.", she answers – not really surprised when she gets a low hum from Chaeyoung in return.

"It's Sunday."

"I know.", Lisa mumbles and before the other girl can reply something, adds: "We're fine, don't worry. She's just very busy at the moment."

At that Chaeyoung sits up and glares at Lisa – a soft frown on her forehead and her knee jumping anxiously.

"I always worry about you. It's what best friends do, you know."

Lisa sends her a smile and takes her hand into her own – squeezing it reassuringly.
Ever since they had become friends in middle-school she'd wondered how she ended up with a friend like Chaeyoung, even though the two of them were nothing alike. Lisa had always been more outgoing, confident and up for any stupid idea anyone had whereas the blonde girl was quieter and more thoughtful. They soon learned that they balanced each other out perfectly and that's why they'd always stuck together like glue.
But even after more than 10 years of friendship there still were times where Lisa asked herself how she got so lucky.

"I know. But really, everything's fine. Jennie and I talked about it and we both understand that it's just a phase."

Chaeyoung snorts which makes Lisa look at her a little puzzled.

"It's just a phase.... Never thought that's something I'll ever hear from your mouth.", the blonde girl laughs and when Lisa gets what she's referring to, she joins in – shaking her head at her best friend.

"Speaking of phases...", Lisa starts, and her counterpart tilts her head back as she puts both of her hands over her face in disguise.

"Care to update me about Miss Korea?"

"No.", Chaeyoung murmurs through her fingers – already feeling the blush creep onto her cheeks as Lisa nudges her side.

"Come on, Chaeng. It's me. Lisa. Your bestie. Your BFF. Your platonic soulmate. Your someday-maid-of-honor. The godmother of your future children."

"Okay! Wow! Geez. Chill.", the blonde girl shrieks and removes the hands from her face – only to earn a giggle from Lisa because her face actually is a red as a tomato.

"Fuck you, Manoban.", she grumbles before slapping her best friends arm playfully. Lisa just keeps staring at her though – waiting for an explanation expectantly.
The older girl takes a few deep breaths before closing her eyes again. She's never been good at acknowledging her own feelings and even less at telling someone about them – because talking about it makes it real and she's not sure that she's ready for that yet.

"I don't know how to say it.", Chaeyoung states slowly – opening her eyes again so she can finally see the calm look on her best friend's face.

"Try it with words maybe.", Lisa recommends – her intonation shrewd and witty and Chaeyoung can't help but roll her eyes at that. That's always how Lisa got her talking – by softly making fun of her and therefore lightening the mood to an extend in which the blonde felt all her anxiety fly out the window. That was one of the biggest reasons why Chaeyoung loved Lisa so dearly.

"Smart ass.", the older one whispers. Lisa looks at her intently again and raises one eyebrow – eding her on wordlessly.

"Ugh, fine...", Chaeyoung surrenders and runs her hand over her face once again. "We are... talking. I guess. Like... daily, but it's not like... I don't know. It's just casual. She tells me about her days and how it goes at work and I tell her about my gigs and how I don't make enough money for someone who lives in New York. It's no big deal. I mean, I promised Jennie I would tell Jisoo how I'm not really interested in something serious and I did, so... we're just being friendly."

Lisa stays silent until she's sure that her best friend is done talking and then she bites the inside of her cheek before blurting out: "Yeah, no. I call bullshit."

"What?", Chaeyoung says - holding her breath without even realizing it until Lisa answers again.

"I know you. There's more to it.", the younger girl announces calmly – shrugging her shoulders as if to underline her statement.

Chaeyoung shakes her head, because really, it's fucking ridiculous how easily Lisa can read her and from time to time she wishes it was different – even if it is very rare.

"I sometimes hate you, you know?", she moans and lets her head fall forward into Lisa's bony shoulder.

"You only ever hate me when I'm being right, so... You just gave yourself away, Park."

"Fine.", Chaeyoung concedes and pushes her head against Lisa a little harder. With her head still somewhat low, she fumbles with the hem of her best friend's shirt before admitting carefully: "Truth is, I wasn't completely honest when I said those things about not being ready for something new yet. I thought I wasn't. And maybe I even wanted not to be, but... there's just something about Jisoo that makes me forget all those things. I think I'm really starting to like her and... I really don't want to mess this up, Li. Not when I can't stop thinking about her all day. I think she's put a spell on me or something. It's really embarrassing, but... I just feel so much more like myself ever since I met her."

She glances up at Lisa who just looks at her with big eyes and an even bigger smile spread across her face.

"Guess I'm screwed, huh?"

Lisa puffs some air out of her nose and grins as she nudges her best friends nose with her finger.
"Yep. You got it bade, dude.", Lisa winks and then moves to push her forehead against the blonde's. "It's fine though. Imma help you get your girl."

"Oh dear God, no, please, you're a terrible wing woman, Lis."

"Shhhhh, I think the love potion already clouded your mind."

The next words of Chaeyoung's get stifled because the Thai girl's hand is suddenly covering her mouth – muting her.