Eavesdropping

"Riddikulus!" I shout. 

The boggart of myself erupts into confetti, showering the floor in pink, red, and white as I recoil the hand gripping my wand. 

"Well done, well done!" Lupin slowly claps, stepping forward again. "You are truly mastering your Boggart, Jolie." 

I smile, letting out the breath I was holding. "Thank you, sir. It... feels good."

"It should," he says, patting my arm. He slips both hands into his pockets and adds, "do you believe it has something to do with you settling in here so well lately?" 

I twist my wand in my palm, shrugging. "Maybe. I suppose my anxiety hasn't been all that bad. It's getting much better." 

"I can see it," he says, then quickly adds, "in classes, you know. And outside. You look much happier than when you started. More comfortable." 

I smile again. "It's the friends, sir. They've really watched out for me." 

"And I hope I'm doing the same," he assures. "I only want what's best for you. Being the new kid on the block is tough, but you've been vanquishing the beast, Miss Carter."

I laugh.

"Thank you, Professor," I say. "I appreciate it. Your lessons have helped loads." 

He nods, smiling back. "And hopefully you're still active in the community after your big band debut?"

"Active in the community," I chuckle. "Sounds like I'm in a retirement home." 

He laughs. 

"I think I am," I answer. "I'm going to the Quidditch match on Saturday."

"Ah, that's always good fun," he replies, nodding approvingly. "A bit chaotic, but good fun."

"So I've heard," I giggle.

"Well, another great lesson today, Jo," he says, walking me to the door. "I doubt you'll need many more after this. Seems you've truly tackled the beast that is your unique Boggart. Not so scary anymore, right?"

I nod. "But... what if something happens?"

He pauses before the door. "Pardon?"

"What if something happens, and my anxiety's back, and all the other stuff?" I ask hesitantly. "The voices? The paranoia? What do I do then?"

He inhales, folding his hands behind his back.

"Well," he says, "then you come to me. And you won't be so alone with those voices."

I smile warmly. 

He points to his mouth. "You'll have this nagging one to drown the rest out."

I laugh. "Thanks, Professor. I'll keep that in mind." 

"Do," he encourages, then motions to the door. "Now, scram. I have thrilling, thoroughly-written third-year papers to grade."

I leave the classroom with a smile. 

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Saturday

Draco and I carefully make my way through the jam-packed crowd of Slytherin fans, all bumping into each other and chattering excitedly in the cool, November breeze on this Saturday afternoon. 

We mumble a few "excuse me"s and "pardon"s as I push through until I find myself in a decent spot with a clear view of the pitch. I shove my hands in my pockets and squint into the slight glare of the light grey clouds hanging overhead.