Spinning, Breathing, Talking

The wind swirled along the quiet, town road, the moon shining overhead. Not a full moon, but it was indeed bright, casting a warm glow upon the street and its little houses that sat on each side.

A young woman of 25 stood on the doorstep of her little house, engulfed in the hold of a man's arms as he kissed the side of her head. Tears stained her cheeks.

"It's for the best," he whispered to her in assurance. "It's the only way."

His voice was on the edge of collapse. They were both on the edge of collapse at that point.

She pulled away just enough for his hand to rest on the infant's head; the infant bundled in her arms between them as she said in a mere croak, "will you ever see her again? Will you ever see... us again?"

He kissed the girl's head once more, then looked into his wife's eyes. "Every day, and every night, I will strive for the day to see you both again. To see her."

The woman sniffled, and he brought her hand to his chest.

"But it's too dangerous now," he said, the words hurting his heart beneath her hand. "We can't risk it. I could never live with myself if I ever..."

He looked at his baby daughter in her arms-

"I could never forgive myself."

The woman rested her head on his chest, tears streaming down her cheeks. His own eyes misted over as he closed them, kissing the top of her head.

"One day," he whispered. "One day, all will be well again. When I can control it. When I know that our beautiful girl is safe when I am near."

He looked down at their child.

"Our beautiful girl."

He pulled away from his family.

"I love you, Caroline Carter," he spoke.

The mother wept. A soft breath of, "Remus", fell from her lips.

And, with one last embrace, and after he kissed the smiling infant's head, he stepped off the porch, eyes cast away from the moon. The cruel, cruel moon.

The woman watched as the young man walked down the stone path, trunk in hand.

He turned back at the end of it to savor one last look at his wife and the child he would not see again for a long, long time.

Caroline Carter stood on that doorstep, watched as he smiled with great strength one last time, and disappeared on the spot with a flick of his wand, tears leaking from both of their eyes.

That night was the first of waiting. That night, she was left with her baby girl, and the cruel, cruel moon.

But everything would come with time.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Could you live with yourself if you did not tell your own daughter the truth?

Your own daughter?

DAUGHTER?

I feel as if my head has been dunked into the iced-over lake that Fred and I sat in front of the other day.

I feel as if something very heavy could drag me to the ground if I don't keep moving, moving, moving, to get out of here, to get far, far away from the castle, and hopefully not throw up everywhere on the way.