Chapter 53

"I didn't tell you the details for multiple reasons, noona," Paseton replied to his sister's question.

"What reasons?" Witira asked.

"The main reason was because I didn't want to worry you. Another was that it was done and in the past, so telling you how bad it had been would have done nothing but make you and father suffer more than you already had," Paseton told her. "I also didn't say anything because a small part of me was ashamed."

"Ashamed?" Witira mumbled in confusion.

"Yes. It was embarrassing that I couldn't even kill three mermaids by myself without getting injured, almost dying, and then having to be saved by a human since I couldn't do it myself. It was like that little part of me that believed everything that was said about how weak and pathetic I am was proven true and I didn't want you to know," Paseton explained.

The pained looks on his family's faces had Paseton quickly speaking again to reassure them.

"It was only a small part of me and I don't think that way now, so you don't need to keep looking at me like that now."

"Alright," Witira finally said as she hugged him tight. Their father joined the family hug and the three turned back to the screen.

Chapter 53: Currently Thinking (1)

Cale started to think.

'Should I run?'

"Thank you for not running, young master," Paseton mumbled quietly.

He knew better than to keep thanking Cale at this point, but couldn't stop the words from coming out, so he kept them quiet enough for Cale not to hear.

Paseton's family members heard the words and tightened their hold on him.

But that Whale's pupils were accurately looking at him. He also seemed to be putting strength into his hands, as Cale could see the Whale's fingers digging into the ground. His strength was unbelievable even though he seemed to be close to death.

"Hahahaha! Thank you for thinking I possess unbelievable strength. That's not usually a phrase I hear in relation to myself," Paseton laughed.

His family (both versions of them) looked at him in wonder as he laughed in such a carefree manner.

If he had still been the Paseton from before meeting young master Cale, that laughter would have been full of self-derision at having been the weakest of the Whales, so seeing him able to laugh in such a way while saying that was shocking to them.

Noticing that look on his family's faces, Paseton chuckled again and spoke.

"I've known almost my whole life that I am the weakest of the Whale Tribe and that used to be a sore spot for me, but, since meeting young master Cale, I've learned that doesn't mean that I am weak. While I am not the strongest, I don't need to be the strongest. I am strong enough to help protect what I treasure and that is enough for me. Also, I can always get stronger."

After a moment of stunned silence Witira grinned and hugged her brother.

"That's right, little brother. You are plenty strong and have gotten stronger than you were before already," Witira agreed.

Shickler joined the hug as he offered his own words of agreement.

Shickler* and Witira* watched the happy moment with bittersweet feelings filling their chests while barely managing to squash down their jealousy.

He had a single question on his mind.

'A Whale tribe member being hurt by mermaid poison?'