Chapter 3

"Soobin reached the bus stop well before time, having run all the way there. Minutes ticked by like hours until finally, Yeonjun's bus pulled up. As soon as Yeonjun stepped off, Soobin started waving both hands enthusiastically, calling out, 'Yeonjun hyung!! Over here!!' amidst the crowd of students and other waiting people.

Students rushed to board the bus, and Soobin jumped up and down to make himself more visible among the crowd. Yeonjun smiled at Soobin's antics, understanding how excited he must be to see him.

When they finally met face to face, Soobin threw himself at Yeonjun, confident that his hyung would catch him. Yeonjun staggered slightly but held steady, wrapping his arms around Soobin's shoulders.

"Oh, Soobiniee!! It's been so long!" Yeonjun exclaimed warmly, pulling him into another tight hug.

"H-hyung?!" Soobin managed to say after breaking the hug.

"Huh?"

"It's been sooooo long~~" Soobin grinned broadly.

"I know," Yeonjun chuckled. "Are we waiting for another bus to send me back, or are we going home?"

"Home! Of course, we're going home. Give me your bags."

They walked towards home together, and as they did, Soobin asked, "So, how's everything going?"

"F-fine. What about you? And how's Aunt?"

Smooth, Soobin! But for how long can you avoid this topic?

"I'm okay, not great, but managing. And Mom? She's doing better now. She had a bit of a health scare a few months ago, but she's fine now. And she really misses you a lot."

"I missed you both a lot too."

"But she really misses you. Whenever she reads the newspaper and sees an advertisement for anime, she says, 'Soobin loves these.' And when we go grocery shopping, if we pass the bread section, she says, 'Soobin loves these.' Just last week, our neighbors' bunny wandered into our yard, and she said, 'Look, Jjunie, it's just like Soobin,' and insisted we keep it until the owners came to collect it in the evening. Until then, she played with that bunny so much, and I promised her I'd bring her one when I came back."

"H-hyung?"

"Hmm?"

"Are you making fun of me?"

"No, no, no! Why would I do that? But you know, it's really funny," Yeonjun burst into laughter.

"Hyung!!" Soobin lightly hit Yeonjun's shoulder.

As they walked towards home, they passed their old school building. Yeonjun, a year ahead of Soobin, reminisced, "This reminds me of our good old days as kids. Remember that small room on the rooftop where we used to hide during class skips?"

"Hmm, of course, I remember that. How could I forget the best days of my life?" Soobin replied with a soft smile.

"I think we should visit someday. What do you say?"

"Sure, hyung! But you know what? I've actually come here quite a bit since you left, whenever I felt down or wanted some time alone. This place, especially that small room, has been a comfort to me."

"Oh! Then I definitely want to visit soon! Can we go now?"

"Now?" Soobin hesitated. "No, not now, hyung. There are probably extra classes going on. We can come back at night, when no one will see us."

"Um, okay," Yeonjun agreed reluctantly.

"Don't be sad, hyung! I promise we'll go to the school right after dinner. I promise."

"Okay, baby," Yeonjun teased, winking at Soobin.

Soobin chuckled softly as they continued walking.

"Um... Soobin?"

"Yeah?"

"How's college going? You must be starting your third year now, right? Have you made new friends? Who are they?"

"A-actually, hyung..." Soobin stuttered.

"What happened?" Yeonjun's voice held concern. "Tell me now. Is everything okay? You're worrying me, Soobin."

"Actually, hyung, I... I didn't enroll in college."

"What? Not even for a year? Soobin?!" Yeonjun's worry escalated quickly.

Shit, shit, shit! This shouldn't be happening now!

"Answer me, Soobin!" Yeonjun's tone turned serious.

And if Yeonjun was serious, the matter was grave.

"H-hyung, please, let's talk at home. Please."

"Move faster."

Those words from Yeonjun only increased Soobin's anxiety. Or was it fear?

***