Chapter 10

A few days passed by, uneventfully for the boys. Their lives were consumed by the usual classes and the relentless barrage of assignments. During this time, they also embarked on the quest to find an affordable apartment for themselves. Initially, it seemed manageable for Beomgyu to ferry his friends back and forth each day, but the extra hour of driving soon took its toll, especially with their increasing workload.

Beomgyu often found himself too exhausted to drive home, leading him to spend the night at his friends' small apartment, which was already a tight squeeze. This arrangement didn't sit well with Beomgyu's landlord, who reprimanded him for not spending the night in his own apartment and "partying with his friends" instead. Beomgyu kept these complaints to himself, but the strain showed on his face.

Taehyun frequently urged Beomgyu to drop them off at a nearby crossroad to ease his burden, but Beomgyu steadfastly refused. He didn't want his friends to have to find another way home when he could take them himself.

Speaking of Soobin, he too became deeply immersed in his accounting work. His days were exhausting as he also took on the responsibility of looking after the meals for the two Chois, who had come to rely on him as a caretaker. Despite the fatigue, this busy schedule made Soobin happy, keeping his mind occupied and away from the negative thoughts that used to plague him.

Nights offered a welcome respite. No matter how tired he was, Soobin made it a point to visit the school rooftop every couple of days to talk to his mom. Now, he had two positive reasons for these visits. Firstly, he had Yeonjun by his side, a support he was immensely grateful for. Secondly, he could now share good news and positive experiences with his mom instead of only venting his sorrow and feelings of abandonment.

It was Friday. Soobin finished up his last worksheet and headed to the library to spend some time. Upon entering, he noticed several bundles of books scattered on the floor. The scent of freshly printed pages hit his nose, and his lips curved into a smile. He looked over at the librarian, who was busy counting the bundles.

"...11 and 12. All are there! Now I gotta arrange them. Ugh!" she sighed and walked over to the first bundle.

"Oh! Hello!" Soobin greeted hesitantly. She just nodded and bent down to pick up the books.

"Do you need help? I- I can help you if you want. I'm kinda free now," Soobin offered slowly. The librarian looked up at him, her eyes sparkling. "Yes! Please! It would be great!" she beamed.

Soobin smiled back and began moving the bundles to the table. "You can place the books that are for the 'story, comic, and thrill' sections. I'll handle the subject ones since I need to remember where I placed them in case someone asks for them," she suggested.

"Yeah... sure!" Soobin replied, setting to work.

Soobin was unpacking the bundles and arranging the books when that particular book caught his attention. He noticed a piece of paper sticking out slightly. He wasn't expecting a return note, but something kept urging him to check. He pulled out the book and retrieved the paper. To his surprise, there was indeed a reply. Excited, he began to read the note, but by the time he finished, his smile had faded.

The person who wrote back assumed Soobin was living a perfect life. Really? Soobin chuckled at the thought. His life was far from perfect; he was just trying to find positivity to keep going. "They must be suffering a lot. The frustration is clearly visible in these words," Soobin thought to himself.

He pulled out a pen from his pocket and wrote:

"Hi! I don't think you'll read this again, but I just want to tell you that assumptions aren't always correct. You think I'm living a good life. Wow! I just found that out myself. Thanks! But seriously, I didn't appreciate what you said. You need to reconsider your perspective about other people's lives. Not everyone is foolish or naive, as you seem to think.