Chapter 15

Soobin left the library, the note clutched tightly in his hand. This time, he hadn't left a reply. His mind was consumed by the request his new friend had made. With his work finished, he decided to leave early. He sent Yeonjun a quick text about heading to the convenience store and then made his way out of the college.

The note played on a loop in his mind, making it impossible to concentrate. He stood at the counter, staring into space, lost in thought.

"Hey! You okay?" A hand waved in front of his face, jolting him back to reality.

"I'm so sorry. Wh-" he began, reaching for the barcode scanner. He stopped mid-action when he saw who was standing there.

"Oh! Seokmin hyung! You're back. Hi!" he exclaimed, his face lighting up at the sight of Seokmin, whose smile was brighter than the sun outside.

"Yes! I came back last night. How are you doing? You look distracted," Seokmin said, moving around the counter to envelop Soobin in a warm hug.Soobin melted into the embrace, holding on tightly.

Seokmin was the grandson of the convenience store owner. Though he lived in Japan due to his father's business, Seokmin had always been attached to his grandfather, spending much of his childhood under his care. After graduating, he returned to live with his grandfather and decided to open a café next to the convenience store, driven by his love for brewing and baking.He had met Soobin and Yeonjun three weeks ago, and they had quickly become close friends. Last week, Seokmin traveled to Japan to acquire the best equipment for his café. Now, he was back, much to Soobin's delight.

Soobin pulled away from the hug, doing his best to muster a convincing smile. However, Seokmin was quick to notice the underlying concern.

"What's bothering you, Soobin? You know you can always talk to me, right?" Seokmin said, gently squeezing his shoulders.

Soobin gave a small, reassuring smile and nodded. "I know, hyung. Really, it's nothing. Just something I haven't quite figured out yet. But if I need help, I'll definitely come to you."

"Alright, if you say so. Just remember, I'm always here for you. And by the way, you guys can leave early today. I'm free, so I'll look after the store," Seokmin said with a wink before leaving the store, humming a soft melody.

Soobin always felt at ease with Seokmin around. Conversations with him flowed naturally, and he could talk about anything. He was grateful to have found an elder brother in Seokmin. While he loved Yeonjun deeply, he cherished the genuine love and affection he received from Seokmin. Seokmin was an easygoing person, always caring for others, and could often be seen chatting with every puppy he encountered on the street. Though introverted, he became the most vibrant extrovert around those he trusted. His affection for the people he cared about drew Soobin closer to him, as he had always craved love and affection.

Whenever they had free time, Seokmin would regale Soobin and Yeonjun with stories of his time in Japan-his college life, midnight strolls, skipping classes to visit his favorite puppy shelter, pranking others with his friends, his admiration for a senior American boy, and how he joined the crafting club just because that American boy was the mentor, despite having a business major.

As Seokmin left the store, Soobin's attention returned to the note. What was he going to do? More importantly, what was he supposed to do? Though he never admitted it, this was his greatest fear. He dreaded his friend discovering the truth about his life, his struggles, and what he had been through. What if his friend abandoned him, unable to accept the reality of who Soobin was and what he had failed to achieve? He couldn't bear the thought of another person walking out of his life, not after how much his new friend's presence had made his survival more bearable.