Chapter 5

After finishing dinner, Soobin gathered all the used dishes and brought them to the sink, starting the task of washing them. As he worked, the rhythmic sound of running water filled the kitchen.

Yeonjun, having just called his mother to let her know he'd arrived safely and had dinner, entered the kitchen.

"Do you need help?" Yeonjun offered.

"No, hyung, it's okay. I'll finish in a bit," Soobin replied, his focus on the task at hand.

"All these?" Yeonjun pointed at the stack of dishes.

"Yes, hyung, I'm used to doing this," Soobin said casually.

"So you're telling me you handle all the house chores alone? Because from what I've seen, Jayhoon isn't helping, and when I briefly woke up earlier, I saw you sweeping. What’s going on, Soobin? We really need to talk. Let's go to the school rooftop; I know you'll open up there. Just—oh, for God's sake, leave these dishes!" Yeonjun exclaimed, grabbing Soobin by the arm and dragging him out of the kitchen.

"Hyung! The dishe—"

"Oh, just shut up, Soobin," Yeonjun interrupted, determined to get some answers.

After some time walking, they finally arrived at the school rooftop.

Their first stop was the small room that had become a storeroom over the years. It was filled with old benches, black and green boards, and musical instruments that had long since lost their tune. Yeonjun's eyes landed on a familiar corner where they used to sit and chat with their friends. It felt so nostalgic, as if it was only yesterday they had bunked class to be there. For Soobin, the room held more recent memories; he often came here to find solace. The last time he was here, he had cried his heart out to his mother while looking at the stars.

Soobin walked out of the room and stood near the edge of the rooftop, staring at the cloudy night sky. Not a single star was visible. He sighed and sat on the wall, legs dangling, arms stretched out for support as he leaned back.

Meanwhile, Yeonjun scanned the room with his keen eyes, taking in every corner. He spotted their friends' names carved into a wall with an iron rod, smiling at the memory of their foolishness. Turning around, he realized Soobin was no longer in the room. He closed the door and stepped out.

"Soob—"

Yeonjun saw Soobin sitting on the wall, seemingly lost in thought as he gazed at the sky. He quietly approached and settled beside him.

Soobin sensed Yeonjun’s presence but didn’t look up. He knew it was his hyung.

"Hyung, I'm really very sorry. I didn’t tell you about anything since you left. I didn’t want you to worry about me because I knew you must be struggling too. That's why I just texted you 'I'm okay' whenever you asked. I'm sorry, hyung," Soobin explained, still not meeting Yeonjun’s eyes.

"But that's not a valid reason. You should have told me. We could have done something. Do you really think of me as your hyung? Because I don't think so—"

"No, hyung! Please don’t say that. Right now, in my life, it's only you and Aunt. I know I should have shared things with you, but I didn’t want to worry you. That's all."

"But Soobin, you can’t risk your studies. Do you hear me? You can't ruin your future. This is serious. And why didn’t you ask Uncle for help? I know he earns enough to support both his sons’ education. Huh?"

Now here we go..........

"So... I think I gotta tell you this now, as it can't be hidden anymore." Soobin sat up straight, and for the first time since they arrived, he looked directly into Yeonjun's eyes, which were full of questions.