051.

────── ✾ ────── 

may 2004

────── ✾ ────── 

It was impossible for Rose to fall asleep when the thunder kept roaming like a crazy person. Rose had every intention to make her visit at the Malfoys as short as possible but it seemed that the weather had other ideas ― and now Rose had also made things up with her biological family so leaving wasn't exactly the first thing on her mind. So due everything, she had to admit her defeat and stay over night.

Narcissa, Lucius and Draco were thrilled about this and had already started to make plans for the evening but Rose told them that she was very tired and wanted go to bed early ― they didn't argue with her.

But Rose didn't sleep. She kept tossing and turning, restlessly trying to get some sleep. She had informed Theo of her whereabouts but assured him that she can spend the night at the Malfoys as a token of turning a new page. It wasn't only her current location that made her so restless but the thunder kept her awake, scaring every chance it got. 

Rose was given one of the guest rooms for use until her own is ready ― those were Lucius' words. But Rose had kindly turned down this offer and told him that she will be more than happy to use a guest room whenever she comes to visit ― if she does in fact. 

Just because Rose decided to let the Malfoys be part of her life, it didn't mean that she will have weekly sleepovers with them. It meant that she wasn't going to avoid them if she sees them or that she might actually invite them to her and Theo's wedding when the time comes. Speaking of which, the engagement was still something she has not shared with her biological family and wasn't going to do it just yet. 

Suddenly a big branch knocked on her window, scaring the life out of her. It was no longer just thunder but a full on raging storm. 

She yelped and jumped out of her bed. There was no way she could fall asleep so she decided to take a little walk around the manor. It was very dark but the corridors were lit with floating candles.

Rose thought she was in Halloween town. 

Narcissa and Lucius were in their room and just like their daughter, they could not sleep. They were excited, relieved and nervous. They were lying on their bed, Narcissa in Lucius' arms just like she has for over three decades now.

"Do you think she's all right?" Narcissa wondered, fidgeting her fingers nervously. "Should I go and check on her?"

"She's fine," Lucius said and pressed a kiss on Narcissa's temple. "And I'm quite positive she doesn't want us to smother her immediately."

Narcissa glanced at her husband. "I'm smothering?"

"It's not your fault darling. The word itself has the word mother in it," Lucius grinned, earning a gentle swat to his arm.