Chapter 5

Although Leona left me alone with a guy we just met, I wasn't nervous but more annoyed. He kept asking me tons of questions like "is she your sister," and "what breakup was she talking about."
"She's my best friend, and it's none of your concern," I told him.

He nodded and started watching tv again. It was on a random channel with an old show that was in black in white. I realized it was the Twilight Zone.

When I was younger, I used to think it was scary. There was this one episode with the doll that would talk to the dad and tell him bad things. After watching it, I ended up putting all of my American girl dolls in the attic because I was too scared. I also used to think all shows back in the day with no color were scary. I don't know why though.

We watched the show until it went off and then it was silent.
"Well, can I hear about why you both decided to come to Paris? I mean I have the right to ask...considering the fact that you're in my apartment...on my couch...under my blanket."

He has a point. I'm just scared that he's gonna judge me. It's only been 2 weeks since everything went down and sometimes I still think about him. I sighed and stood up. "We just needed a vacation because of work and stuff. Now, do you mind showing me your paintings?"

His eyebrows furrowed. "How'd you know I paint?"
"You said you have keys for an art studio?"
He looked up at me for a second longer and scoffed. "My brother runs the place. He does all the work even though it's ours."
"How come?"

"I don't know. My theory is that he thinks he's better than me, which is true, and he doesn't want me to ruin our business. It's been that way since I learned how to walk. It's complicated."

I slide on my sandals. "Well I'm wide awake now, and I want to see it."
He seemed interesting. I've never met someone who paints and owns a whole art studio.
"Now? It's almost 1am. I'll take you around there tomorrow. You're still a little drunk."
I grabbed his arm and pulled it, forcing him to stand up. He's definitely heavier than he looks.

"I'm not sure if I'd want to be in touch with him after tonight..so show me now." He rolled his eyes. "First of all, ouch. Second, fine, let's go."
I walked to the front door and grabbed my purse, trying my best to hide the smile on my face.

But I really don't want us to be friends, or anything more. Don't get me wrong. Danny is cute, but like I told Leona, now just isn't the time for me to fall in love with a random guy who works at a cafe all the way in Paris. This night wasn't supposed to go this way. We were supposed to go to the concert, record and take a lot of pictures, and go home and stay up all night talking about it. I'm never going to drink again. 

Leona took me to Paris to hang out with her and her grandparents to make me feel better, but now that she's gone, I just feel worse and I'm starting to hate Paris. I'm not even in the mood to see the Eiffel Tower anymore. I just want to go home after tonight.

•┈┈┈••✦ :🪷: ✦••┈┈┈•

Danny agreed to take me to his art studio. It was only down the block so we walked. To fill the silence, I asked him about his family and why he works at a cafe for a living....not that I actually wanted to know.  I kind of know the answer anyway from what Leona had told me.

He talked with his hands in his pockets, staring straight ahead into the darkness.
"Oh so you can ask me questions but I can't?" he said, jokingly, but I knew he meant it. I giggled.

"My family is doing alright, but my parents separated not too long ago."
I frowned as he glanced at me with a light smile on his face.

"I was able to cope with it since I was already an adult and out of the house, making money for myself." I sighed in relief. Even though my parents are still together, it hurts me to even think about them splitting up, especially if I was young. The only good part about it is that I would have 2 christmases and birthdays. So I can't even imagine. "I'm sorry about that."