Chapter 10

He pulled into the driveway of his apartment and put the truck in park. We had driven the whole way back without listening to the radio like we did last time.The silence was so loud I could hear the cars on the highway, and my breathing that was getting harder to control. I felt him glancing over at me the entire time, making sure I was okay.

I stared out the window till we got there and ignored everything he said. It had stopped raining completely. I looked out the window, at the sky, and stared at the full moon. The moon has always been a comfort to me since I was a child.

My grandma used to be a spiritual hippie back in her days and she would tell me all about it. I closed my eyes and imagined her, in her flowy dress and long curly hair that went down her back. She refused to cut it. "If you ever feel sad or anything negative, just look up at the moon and make a wish and everything will be alright," she would say to me in her soft voice. "Just take it one day at a time."

I was about to make a wish before the silence ended when Danny started talking again. I quietly groaned as I turned to look at him, and his eyes were wet. Had he been crying this whole time? He took a deep breath and let it out.

"Me and my sister had a big fight a few weeks ago. It was over something stupid and we both said things we regret. She was saying things about our step dad and...It was ugly. He did some very bad things."

He slightly raised his eyebrows. "The girl you saw on my phone? It was her. She's in town. I've just been avoiding her."
"Why?" I asked.

"Because I felt like it'd be easier that way? I don't know. It's a bad habit that I do everytime time someones mad at me. I'm scared to face problems. But I won't do it with you. I refuse to do it with you."

He sat up in his chair. "I really like you, and I'd be really sad if you go. It's only been a few weeks since you got here but when I first saw you, something really clicked between Sapphire. Honest. I know you've been through a lot, and I know the reason you came here was to get your mind off of a breakup.... I don't know the whole story."

I paused. "Wait, who told you this?"
"Leona.."
How dare she tell him?
I scoffed. "It's none of your business. And I'm gonna have to go home sooner or later."
"Don't remind me."

I broke eye contact and looked down at my lap. My heart started to hurt and the tears were about to start coming again. I felt like a terrible person. And I felt even more terrible because I was falling in love with him. I just didn't want to admit it.
"Look, if you're still mad, I get it, but don't go home because of this."
"It's not just because of this Danny.

I completely ruined things with my best friend and I'm sure she doesn't want to talk to me anymore. I mean I haven't even gotten a text from her since I left. What if she doesn't want to be friends after this?"
I felt Danny's hand rest gently on top of mine. "Maybe she just wants to give you space. But it is really late and I'm tired. Why don't you come inside?"

•┈┈┈••✦ :🪷: ✦••┈┈┈•
Danny had tea on the stove and a movie playing on the tv. I had calmed down a little since we came in. He told me that I could rest on the couch and make myself at home. Except I wish I was home. Being in a big city full of strangers now made me feel alone. I'm pretty sure I would've been on the plane if it weren't for him, but part of me is glad he found me walking on the sidewalk. He's the only person that I have right now if you exclude David.

David and I have been texting non stop. Knowing how much he cares for me, I didn't want to tell him about the situation between me and Leona and that I've met a boy because I know he would be worried, but also knowing him, he's an instigator and won't stop bugging me until I've told him everything. Plus, it felt good talking to someone and getting things off my chest.

'A boy? Already?'
3 bubbles pop up again.
'Is he at least cute? See if he's cute then I wouldn't blame you.'
I smiled a little and typed, 'Maybeeeee.....I got upset at him because he was talking to another girl. Turns out, it was his SISTER. Gosh I felt so stupid when he told me.'
'But how do you know? Maybe he just said it just so you won't be sad or so he won't lose you. For all we know, he could be lying.'

David has a point. Why does he have to be so smart and straight up with me?
'C'monnn. You should've seen his face! He was so sad.'
'Yeah yeah. He's just a good actor.'

I made a face before he said, 'Just kidding. I know you're making that mug face you do every time you get offended.'
'Yup.'

'You know I'm jk. Besides, who wouldn't fall for you in less than 2 weeks? You're absolutely stunning. Remember in high school when you came to Nhs, all of the boys were so curious about you. And to be honest, I was too.'

'Omg David! You shouldn't have said that lmao.'
'What can I say? Only a man speaks the truth. Anyway, I'm going to bed. Big day tomorrow.'
'Alright Davy. Goodnight.'
'Goodnight.'

I'm looking through his bookshelf by the window when he hands me a cup. I didn't realize how amazing this view was. You can see the Eiffel Tower afar, along with the city lights and highways.

I smiled and took a small sip. My face wrinkled a little.. It tasted sweet and tangy. "Mmmm. What'd you put in this?"
"Just a bit of ginger. It's my magic touch."

I nodded and took another sip. "It tastes amazing."
"Thanks." He took a seat on the floor next to me and noticed that I was looking through his books. "Impressed by my choice of literature?"

I let out a giggle and covered my mouth to keep the tea from bursting out. His bookshelf was full of Harry Potter, Goosebumps, and the Hunger Games. Most of these books I read in middle school.

"Hmm. Just a little. At least you don't have Colleen Hoover in here."
His mouth fell open and he held his finger up. "Don't disrespect the queen like that. She's a great writer."
I snort. "Yeah.. for 15 year olds. I mean who names their main character Lily Blossom Bloom?"

"Colleen. Obviously."
I rolled my eyes and took another sip. "Yeah. Only her."

Danny stood up and placed his cup on the coffee table as he yawned. When his arms raised, I saw a bit of his stomach and underwear, and then quickly looked away. "I'm gonna do a bit of laundry and take a shower..Can I get you anything else?"
"Uhh..A bigger blanket would be nice."

He nodded and glanced at the polka dot cover. "Yeahhhh I don't blame you. That one is kinda worn out."

He ran his fingers through his hair and began walking away, but before he turned the corner, he turned around. "And please don't leave again will ya?"
I chuckled and then realized that he was serious so I stopped.
"Alright. Fine. Have it your way."