Chapter 8

We pulled into a Mcdonalds driveway that wasn't that far out of town. The whole way there, me and Danny took turns playing music from our playlists. I have a bunch of playlists for different situations, like when I'm reading, studying, working out, or just thinking. But He only has one main playlist with over 100 songs.

He's into all kinds  of genres, but I never knew he loved classical music like Martha Argerich and Alison Balsom.

I told him how I used to play music like that and act like I'm at war or being the main character in a story fighting the villain. "I had gotten a princess costume for halloween and I thought I was some royal princess everyone was in love with," I told him.

He laughed and told me that I have a cool and big imagination. When it was my turn I had played something from my main playlist and put it on shuffle.

My favorite band, The Cure, had come on. "Boys don't cry" was playing through the radio as he nodded his head to the beat and I fake played the guitar.

Once we finally got the food, he pulled into a random parking lot and we began eating. Even though I had pasta not even two hours ago, my stomach was growling and gurgling. We both got the same thing: Big macs, french fries, and a sugary beverage to drown it down. My favorite is orange fanta. He's more of a dr.pepper guy. 

By then it was 11pm. The stars had lit up the sky along with the big half crescent moon, hiding behind a cloud. I took 3 fries, then stuffed it in my mouth, and cringed at the salty, but addicting taste.

"So how come you know almost everything about me and I know nothing about you?" I asked once I swallowed. He shrugged and took a sip out of his large cup. "Well you never asked me anything. I'll tell you everything you wanna know."
I thought for a little while and asked, "How's your parents? I wonder what they're like."

A  small grin formed on his face. "They're good. Well, just my mom. She's an artist just like me and my brother, but her main job is a surgeon. So she's always at the hospital working. Even when she's not working, she likes to stay there to check up on her patients and make sure they're alright."

I loved the way his eyes sparkled when he talked about his mother. She seems like a really good person. He was going to say something else, but his phone suddenly went off. He picked it up and began texting. I didn't want to be nosy and ask who it was, so I just sat there and waited till he was done.

"That's nice. My moms a nurse. They'll probably get along well. What about your father?" I asked when he put down his phone.

"Nothing really. He's still alive and all, but growing up it was hard to be around him, you know? He was a big alcoholic and it messed with my mind. Really put me and my brother through a lot. Especially my mom. But I have a step dad. He's in jail right now though."

I frowned and leaned back in my chair. "I'm sorry to hear that."

He shrugged like it was nothing. "It's fine. We all go through our own stuff and he was clearly going through a lot.  At least he showed that he loved me and tried his best to make us happy. I think about him sometimes. I feel bad for him, my real dad."

I don't know why but what he was saying surprised me. I knew he obviously had a life behind being a barista, that he didn't just make coffee all day everyday, but it made me realize that you never know what people go through. People can easily put a smile on their face and pretend that everythings alright.

I smiled softly. "That's good. I'm glad your mother is doing okay.Where did you say you were from again?"
"Germany."
"Really? I have family members from there, but I'm from Spain."

He laughed and it made me laugh a little too.
"What?" I asked, grabbing my straw and stabbing it into the cup."

"That's what I was thinking, because of your accent."
"What accent?"
He giggled. "Right there. Instead of saying, "What," you say the "Wha" like "Woh."
I cringed. "Ew! I do not."
"Yeah you do." He smiled. "Don't worry. I like it."
•┈┈┈••✦ :🪷: ✦••┈┈┈•