Vol. 4 Ch. 31 Oniyuri

3rd Person POV

It was a cloudy day, and RNJR (and Ace) were following a mossy stone tile path through the wilderness. While walking, Nora stretched her arms up wide and said, "Another day, another adventure!" Beside her, Jaune read a map while Ruby, Ren, and Ace continued alongside them as Ruby asked, "What's on the agenda today?" Jaune replied, "Walking!" Nora responded, "With a side of...?" Ren answered, "Walking." Ruby sighed and said, "Haven is a lot farther away than I thought." Ace spoke up and said, "Ruby? How long did you think this journey was going to take?" Ruby replied and said, "I don't know! I grew up in a small area; I've never been this far away from home!" Jaune said, "Right but... how long?" Ruby answered, "Maybe like, uh... two weeks?" Jaune looked up from the map to glare at her and said, "What?!" Ruby responded, "Okay, fine! Three or something! Look, whatever." Ruby looked up again after a beat, noticed something ahead, and said, "Hey, what's that?" Nora jumped onto a slightly fallen post of a fence to get a closer look at a wall and building ahead. Jaune checked his map as he said, "That's... strange. I didn't think we'd be hitting another village for a few days." Ace frowned and said, "Me neither." Nora spoke up and said, "Are those buildings... damaged?" Jaune replied, "We should search for survivors!" Jaune dropped the map and all five ran into the village, with Nora leaping onto the wall and to a rooftop from there. They discovered the town to be empty. Ruby lifted a fallen plank of wood to find only plant outgrowth underneath as she called out, "Anything?" Nora replied, "Nothing over here!" Jaune also replied, "No one over here, either!" Ace responded and said, "I got nothing also." Ren spoke up and said, "It almost seems like... the town was abandoned." Ruby looked around, feeling unease in the wind. Then Nora said, "Hey, I think I found something!" Ruby turned and rushed over to the others. Nora, Jaune, Ren, and Ace were looking at a town sign. Nora moved the ivy growing over it to the side to read what it says, and said, "Oniyuri? Never heard of it." Jaune replied, "Me neither." Ren responded, "I have."

The other four looked at him, surprise on Nora and Ruby's faces. Ren said, "You might think of it as Anima's Mountain Glenn, had it never been completed. Years ago, the richest members of Mistral were unhappy with how the Kingdom was being run." As Ren spoke, Ace looked around at the various unfinished buildings, disrepair and neglect of the village. Ren continued, "Frustrated with the council, they pooled their resources together to build their own city, with their own laws. They hoped that one day, it could maybe even become its own Kingdom. Many thought it would be the future." Ren walked away from the other four as he said "I know my parents did." Ruby asked, "What happened?" He brushed some dirt off of the stone border of a low wall to reveal claw marks and said, "What always happens." Jaune answered, "The Grimm." Ren tightened his hands into fists and replied, "Not just any, one." Ruby briefly faced Nora in confusion, but Nora didn't move her concerned gaze away from Ren. Ruby turned back to him and said, "One?" Several small black birds took off from a tree outside Oniyuri's wall. They flew over the village and the five travelers. Jaune spoke up again and said, "Come on. Let's just get through here. This place gives me the creeps." He turned and left, soon followed by Nora and Ace. Ren lingered for a moment for a few moments, seemingly in thought, then followed. Ruby was the last to move as she looked over the empty village.

As the four members of Team RNJR, along with Ace, continued out of Oniyuri, Ren and Ace both suddenly sensed something. Ren and Ace both put out their hand to stop the other three, eyes closing as they focused. Ren amd Ace both drew their weapons. Ruby, Nora and Jaune immediately followed suit. Tyrian soon leapt high over the wall to engage them in combat. He immediately took out his weapons in a seamless motion and, laughing eagerly, moved to attack Ruby. Ren intervened, StormFlower clashing with Tyrian's claw blades. Ren attempted to both kick and shoot Tyrian, but he dodged. The two have a couple more attacks and parries until Tyrian kicked Ren several feet away. Tyrian turned to go after Ruby again, who rushed forward with Crescent Rose to meet him. Tyrian used his blades to block the scythe and kicked Ruby backward. She easily remained upright and they clashed again. Tyrian managed to land a strike on Ruby's right arm, causing her to cry out at the pain and him to laugh. She didn't break her stride however and leapt back to take a swing at him with her scythe. He dodged and then landed a moving blow against the body of Crescent Rose, causing a red shimmer to cross her Aura in the area of the strike. Ace ran at Tyrian with Equinox and Blitz in their sword forms and the two clashed weapons as well. Jaune stepped in at that moment and Tyrian climbed onto his shield and grinned at him. Nora rushed in with Magnhild, but Tyrian just leapt from Jaune's shield to her hammer and up through the top story of a narrow, rectangular building. Holding himself up with his feet on wooden frames to either side of him, Tyrian looked down at the 5 travelers. Jaune said, "We're not looking for a fight!" Ren asked, "Who are you?"