A Variant Dimension

As soon as the Pillars and volunteers were given their gear, they and Max entered the portal area again. Over there, Jesse looked down at the light blue sword provided to him by Dr. Chip before slipping it into his sheath. He was also given a set of armor that bore the MPS symbol on the chest plate as did the wristband on his left wrist, which can summon a shield for him. As for the other Pillars, Sonic looked down and admired the blue cuffs and pair of shoes that were made to increase his attack damage with every run. Morgana was given one of Planet Specter's weapons, a scimitar, as Frisk was given a backpack that Dr. Chip claimed was bigger on the inside. She didn't believe that, but she did like that the backpack held first aid in case of any ailments and injuries and a pocket knife.

The volunteers were also given their gear with Kasane being given a set of knives, for she fights with them while using her Psychokinesis. As for Mayday and Zuke, they just picked enhanced instruments; Mayday chose an electric guitar that can cause more damage with every note and swing she makes. As for Zuke, he picked a pair of drumsticks but was also given a utility belt to hold them with and a ring that could make force fields.

"You two could have picked weapons like everyone else and yet, you two chose instruments," Kasane said with crossed arms and a deadpan look aimed at the two musicians.

"It's kind of our thing," Zuke replied.

"Also, I like this new guitar!" Mayday said, swinging her blue guitar around. "I like the features it has, especially the shooting it can do!"

"You do realize that once we complete our mission, we have to return them, right?" Kasane raised an eyebrow, watching the orange woman lower her guitar.

"I knew that..."

Meanwhile, Jesse turned to Max and asked, "So, about the first distress signal, which world do you think it came from?"

"To be honest," Max began. "I'm not entirely sure."

"What do you mean you're not entirely sure? You're a World Jumper!" Sonic retorted.

"My job as a World Jumper is to study dimensions and their inhabitants and to maintain the balance between the multiverse."

"So?" Morgana asked.

"So because of that, I don't know how to find a distress signal's location, but I do know someone who does!"

"And who might that be?" Frisk asked.

"That would be me!" said an unfamiliar voice.

In response, the group stopped walking and turned to find a new face approaching them. This stranger was a young man wearing a light blue turtleneck jacket, dark blue pants, and white sneakers with his silver hair slicked back. While the Pillars and volunteers were looking at the man with blank faces, Max walked up to him to give him a fist bump.

"It's been a while, Max," the man said with a mutual grin. "How's it going?"

"Life has been pretty good," Max replied, scratching the back of her neck. "That is until the emergency happened..."

"Ah, I know..." The man let out a sigh. Then, he looked over the girl's shoulder to find the Pillars and volunteers. "And from the looks of it, you brought four of the Pillars and some volunteers!"

"Uh, Max? Is this guy a friend of yours?" Jesse asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh, yeah!" Max replied as she turned back to the others. "Everyone, this is Ned. He's going to be serving us as our operator for the mission."

"Operator?" Morgana repeated. "Like he's going to help us?"

"That's right!" the man called Ned said with a nod. "Though, I won't be joining you physically. I will be watching you all from the sidelines, assisting you when needed."