Chapter Thirty-Four

Niall was gone. He wouldn't come back. It was over.

I pressed the half-consumed bottle of whiskey against my lips one last time before placing it on the coffee table next to the couch I was sitting on. I wiped my tears and pulled out my phone to dial Niall's number. It went straight to voicemail. My heart shattered hearing his voice.

"Niall, it's me..." my lip began quivering and I lost control of my voice. "I love you so much... I know you're already gone, and you won't come back but I," I broke into tears, burying my face in my trembling hand. "I never meant to hurt you." I wiped my cheeks, sighing in attempt to shake off the overwhelming emotions. "You meant a lot to me, and despite these past few months, you'll always hold a special place in my heart. I wish I could tell you everything that I felt, but I doubt you'll even be listening to this... bye." I hung up, holding the phone tightly in my hand as I hunched over, tears cascading down my face.

 Niall

I sat at the gate. Flight will board anytime now. My back was hunched, my elbows placed on my kneecaps, and my face was buried in my hands.

"You alright, Niall?" I felt a hand on my back. I recognised Zayn's voice. He sat down next to me. The boys were sitting somewhere else, I just wanted to be alone. "I know you love her." He said. I winced at his words. This only added to the pain I was trying to get rid of. "Niall, before you do this, you have to ask yourself if this is fair to her."

"She slept with Liam, Zayn!" I shouted, glaring at him. "Do you think that's the train of thought she adopted when she fucked him? 'Would that be fair to Niall?'" I clenched my jaw, staring at the floor. "Yeah, I don't think so."

"Mate, I know that. But that's the way you see it. Take some time to reflect upon everything you've done to her. You can't apply healthy relationship rationale, when you were in such an unhealthy one. I'm sure if you had shown her nothing but love, and made her feel wanted and cared for, she would never have turned to Liam who offered her those things." I clenched my eyes shut and pressed my hands against my head. "You should also consider the fact that it takes two to be in a relationship. From what I know, she never agreed wholeheartedly to being with you. You forced her to."

Zayn left. I just sat there, overwhelmed with painful thoughts. I grabbed my phone from my jacket pocket and turned it on. I couldn't think of anything other than music to get me through this. As it booted, I searched for my headphones inside my backpack. I felt my phone vibrate and looked at the screen. My stomach flipped. One unheard voicemail. It was from Hannah. Two options were staring back at me. Either I played it, or deleted it. If I play it, this will become much harder than it already is, and if I delete it, I'll never hear her voice again. My thumb shook over both possibilities, before hovering over the red option.

 Hannah

I woke up on the couch of Niall's living room. I had no idea how long I had been asleep. I felt like I had died inside. Alcohol didn't help with that. It was dark outside, and I could hear the rain pouring heavily... Ireland. I reached over and grabbed my phone form the coffee table. Niall hadn't called. I let out a shaky breath and decided I'd try again, one last time. It rang once, but not twice.