Chapter Thirty-Two

I woke up with a thumping headache. I groaned as my senses focused on my heavy, painful eyes, my sticky face which trapped a good amound of hair and my dry mouth. The only thing I could manage to think about was getting rid of the discomfort. As I moved in the bed, I realized a tan arm was hugging my waist, trapping me. I guess Liam fell asleep next to me. I attempted to lift up his arm which only resulted in a guttural moan to be omitted from him. 

"Hannah?" His groggy voice made me jump. I turned my head in his direction. His head was resting on a pillow while his eyes were fixed on mine. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"No, no. Don't worry about it." He forced himself up in a sitting position. I could tell something was on his mind. "Hannah, I... I meant every word I said last night." 

I averted his loving gaze. 

"I will be there for you and the baby. I don't care what I have to do, quit the band, run through the desert, anything." He reached out to tuck loose strands of hair behind my ear. He let his fingers graze my cheek as his hand dropped to grab mine. "Okay?" He whispered.

My breath caught in my throat. "Oh-okay."

               I walked down the stairs to get some breakfast. As I made my way to the kitchen, something in the living room caught my eye. I backed up and strutted over to the couch. What was Niall doing here? I gently shook his shoulder.

"Niall?" 

His eyebrows furrowed as he slowly awoke. His eyes fluttered open, and widened when he saw me.

"Hey." He responded.

I wasn't sure whether the coldness in his tone was due to his grogginess or bad mood. He propped himself up on one elbow, running his free hand through his quiff tugging at it a few times.

"Why did you sleep here?" I asked.

He stared at me sharply. Eventually, he responded:

"Got home late. Was too tired to walk up the stairs." 

Or too drunk, I thought to myself. The smell of alcohol was slightly noticeable. This surprised me as Niall never drank. 

"What's this for?" I questioned, picking up a teddy bear from the floor right by the couch. The teddy was holding a big fluffy red heart that had I love you sowed on it in script. 

I turned my head to look at him. His eyes were fixed on my hand holding the teddy. He seemed lost. 

"Love, the car is here." Liam walked in the living room holding a mug. Just as soon as Niall heard Liam, and Liam noticed Niall, tension arose instantly. 

"I'll be right there." I replied meaning for Liam to leave us. He consented and left the room without complaint. 

"Where are you going?" Niall asked softly while anxiously picking at the Teddy bear's furr. 

"The doctor's." 

"Oh, really?"

"Yes."

"Well don't you think I should take you?" 

His tone took me aback. It came out rough and accusatory. It must have been intended, because his darting eyes didn't leave mine. 

"I seem to remember it as this being my child. Unless you would like to share something." 

A deep, awkward silence settled between us. Niall eventually shook his head. 

"Do you know what today is, Hannah?"