The Dance Of Swords

A chilly breeze hit her face as she closed the door behind her. Rays of sunlight filtered through the greenery and warmed her skin. She readjusted her boots above her knees and trotted back to Sumeru city to check out the jobs available to her—

"Got any bounties left this week ?" Lumine asked Effendi at the Citadel of Ragzar.

"I've got way too many if you ask me. The Akademiya, the corps, the adventurers guild, everyone's been putting out bounties these days. Unfortunately, the number of people willing to go after them isn't keeping up with the demand... Anyway, what kind of bounty are you looking for? It's not like I have a shortage. " He ended up mumbling at the end.

"Give me the one that pays the most," Lumine demanded.

A smile lit up on his face. He must've been thinking; Finally, someone with some guts around here.

"There is this group of rogue eremites wandering around the northern part of the city, ambushing merchants and travellers alike en route to the city. The corps put out this bounty two weeks ago, and nobody's been able to catch them. The corps is tired of chasing this group that escapes them so easily and are looking for outside help with someone who has a better chance of actually seeing them and eliminating them."

"And how much does it pay? " Paimon insisted in lieu of Lumine.

"50k mora, for the leader dead or alive, we will need proof if you choose death." He said.

"Can I take a picture with my Kamera when I'm done ?" Lumine asked.

"Absolutely. So, am I putting your name down on my list? "

She agreed and took the bounty paper that he handed her.

"Be careful now. You aren't the first adventurers to try their hand on this one." He said to the pair.

Lumine winked.
"I've fought much, much worse."
She said as she walked away.

"Okay, now what does this thing say about our little enemies?" Lumine said aloud as she unfolded the sheet of paper.

"Let Paimon see." Paimon said as she scootched over Lumine's shoulder.

They both analyzed the text as they slowly walked through the city streets, their gazes glued upon the sheet of paper, their subconscious guiding them along the way.

"Not much here that Effendi hasn't already told us." Paimon concluded.

"The map here gives us a more precise area to search in. It says they usually ambush their victims and knock them out cold before disappearing." Lumine thought aloud.

"That's it ?" Paimon asked.

"Umm, there is this witness report that says they always attack in high numbers, so we know that we are up against a large group. It also says that they spotted some weirdly dressed individuals, with clothes different than that of the eremites and Sumeru fashion." Lumine continued.

"They are working with... foreigners ?" Paimon inquired.

"Weirdly dressed— Shit. I know who they are; Fatui. They are always up in everyone's business for crying out loud." Lumine cursed. Never a dull day when the fatui are involved.

"Ahhh, not again—" Paimon whined.
"They are always doing shady things." Paimon whined.

"At this point, I'm not even surprised anymore." Lumine said as she rolled her eyes.

"Ugh, we better clear them out soon then." Paimon complained.

They headed to their objective north. As they walked along the path, they spotted some destroyed carts of all sorts, as well as the rotting produce of merchants adorning the ground alongside bits and pieces of random goods scattered along the path. They seemed aggressive in their robbing methods, seeing the state of the left behind personal effects.