Chapter I

PART I : THERLOS

To say that Aragorn king of Arnor and Gondor was ill at ease on his golden throne would not be an understatement. Not that he was unhappy to be king, yet he could not see the privilege that all the others found in his position. When becoming king, Aragorn had promised to never be one of those passive rulers swimming in their boredom and drinking ale until rest took over them. However some days were odd and he had no other choice than sit in his throne waiting for dawn to take this flatness away. He needed adventure.

But on a sunny day, something new began. It was far from the adventure he was thinking about but that he didn't know. The young man was thinking about how much he loved and respected the challenge of ruling such a complex realm, especially next to the beautiful elf he was about to marry. Arwen Undomiel, the evenstar. While his body rested deeply on his throne, Aragorn looked at her. The beautiful elf had seen her thoughts drift away and was undoubtedly wondering about the wildness she was looking at through the window.

That was when her father and dear friend of Aragorn's interrupted the heavy silence filling the room. Elrond Peredhel, Lord of Rivendell and probably the first and only reason why Aragorn and Arwen were not married yet. The room was tall and empty, making the collision of Elrond's feet against the marble floor heavy and loud. Once he had made his path to be right in front of the king his eyes landed one last time on his daughter before bowing in all his elven grace. "My dear friend, I have heard that your wedding's arrangements have begun." The noble elf let silence to look once more towards his daughter but now, she was watching him as well. Aragorn and Arwen could read an apology in his eyes, they both knew what was about to come. Disapproval. "And that you were the one giving the validation for those actions."

Aragorn scoffed at those worlds. "Yes I did my Lord, who else would have done it if not me?" For some it would have seemed disrespectful but Elrond knew the king like his own son and was well aware of his goodwill.

"Thorongil, you certainly think I am being overly cautious, but I do not think this union is ready to be sealed. Arwen and my kin are what I preserve and I wish to make sure this is the right choice to make. You are an excellent king, do not get me wrong. I only think your devotion is still to be proven."

Before giving any answer, Aragorn got up and began to walk towards his friend. "Maybe those words do not commit to your memory but you once agreed to this union." When he got close enough, he kindly placed his hand on the elf's shoulder. "This is more than an outcome of love, it is my duty to lock the harmony between Elves and Men that has been endangered for too long. And you are wise, you surely are aware of what is at stake."

"I wholly remember it, my friend. And the seriousness of it is far from being a matter I was not aware of. But you have to understand that a failed alliance is worse than getting none." Elrond was probably on the verge of telling more but the heavy door opened behind him and caught Aragorn's eye. Soon after the herald's small figure entered the room, he then freely disrupted the quietness of the place. "My king, Gandalf the White is here to see you. He says it is for a crucial matter." His sentence was nearly over but the small man had already left the room, leaving the king, the elf and their never ending discourse behind.

"I know for certain that allowing a man of my kin to marry your elven daughter is not simple, but with everything we have been through you can trust me. I pledge to take care of her and any other elf. Now if you will excuse me, my friend is expecting me." Aragorn let his hand leave Elrond's shoulder and walked towards the golden doors. "It was a pleasure to see you my dear fellow."

Elrond turned around with a kind expression despite the direction their dialogue had taken. "The pleasure is shared."

***