Chapter II

"If I were given only one prayer, I would beg for more time, my lords." The leaders had seen themselves dragged into a never-ending argument and Gandalf had to get them out with solutions. "No Valar appears to be capable of offering what we need, I will then do it myself if you allow me. I can hold Saruman and I will do so as long as my body permits it. But I need clearance on your actions, hope will strengthen me. Tell me what you will do next and how you are going to lead him to completion."

Aragorn was the one whose words would be final and in that doubtful instant, while he held his head in his hand, everyone was waiting for him. He knew Gandalf had the power to hold Saruman for some time but it would be useless if no definitive solution was found. "We will find a way, Gandalf" The king almost lacked air due to the tiresome effort this encounter had grown to be. "I am thankful for any second you can grant us, it would be precious and used wisely. I just need to think, my mind is clouded by all the causerie this meeting had endured." He made sure to look at every single man around the table. "I gathered you here for support. Every idea is welcome, we need to think cleverly. I trust everyone in this room, if your mind offers you any suggestion, please speak now. I would be relieved."

Acts of power of all kinds had started to flow from every corner, but none of them seemed to suit the situation the men were trapped in. They had to scream over each other and speaking wisely had seemed to have escaped their capacities. Aragorn was drowning in ideas and considered each of them, yet none was going to be his final choice. He was not going to stop his fellows' extravagant energy nor calm them towards a real reflection, they were as scared as him and it was a way to express this feeling. Better get it out now around this table than once standing on the battlefield.

Lord Elrond Peredhel had this ability to be so well-respected by any kind that he held the power to be heard in the loudest storms. A single word from him was firm enough to shut the most talkative mouths, even the ones around this table in crisis. "It is absurd." And as usual his words were the only ones left to be said. The small whisper made the king and his comrades look at the elf. Elrond went on "Gandalf, how did Saruman even get out of this tower? War destroyed every heart and being too careful was the only reaction we got out of it. How did the wizard escape our prudence?"

"You said it yourself. He is a wizard. I do not say that to flatter my kind, but to tell you that no one can have the knowledge to answer your question. His power is unique, it may have evolved towards something no mind can imagine or predict, even the wisest ones. Or maybe he got help from an outside force. But this answer will only be made of 'maybes', at least from me."

Éomer Éadig scarcely gave time to anyone to speak before spreading his voice in the hall. "An outside force?" His eyes went directly to the king and Lord Elrond behind him. "Maybe you consider my concern misplaced but I cannot settle my mind elsewhere. The elves' absence is still highly triggering me and it has begun to make sense. I am not blind and see you Lord Peredhel, but what I do not ignore is that you are here not as a representative but as a father which makes the elven kingdom absolutely away from this table. If you allow me, my king, I will express my 'maybes' too and I beg my fellow lord Elrond to not take it as a personal threat. Unless the wizard had access to some sort of magic we are not yet aware of, a powerful force would have been necessary to lead him outside of his prison. This power is to me no other than the Elven one. It would be a great disaster for us and I wish for anything but this, yet it would explain the empty seat we all are wondering about."

While the leaders stayed quiet in their agreement with Éomer, Aragorn was left to disagree. "Don't be a fool, king of Rohan. Watch your words."

"I think you had the exact same doubts once. No, I do not think, I am sure you did."

Éomer's proud smile bothered Aragorn and his words made it worse enough for him to feel anger. "I have never doubted the Elven kingdom!"

"My friend, do not be blinded by Arwen's beauty, it is not worth it now. Do not deny something to please your elf friend Elrond's ears. You have wondered about the Elves' earnestness since the day Prince Legolas left Gondor. He went back to his father and not a letter nor a glimpse of life from him had been received since then. Legolas is not the only one. Tell me my king, since when have you not seen a pointy-ears crossing your lands? I wish I could present you a reason for their absence today, but I cannot and their years of silence are clear to me now. At first I believed that peace suited them so well they forgot about politics, but now I understand they just had no time to deal with it because they dedicated it all to bringing war upon us again. Yes, my king, Elves are missing war. They are not your allies, and if no one around this table is bold enough to make you see it, I am not frightened. I said it while everyone believed it. They miss war and today they teamed up with the wizard to be sure to win it. They need glory."